I just had surgery a few days ago and I thought I would post my experience so far for the benefit of anyone else that might be going through a similar situation.
I was diagnosed in August with congenital cervical stenosis with three herniated discs at levels c4-c5, c5-c6, and c6-c7. The c6-c7 level was the worst and was compressing my spinal canal down to an A-P diameter of 6 mm. The compression was causing radicular pain down my arms, wrists and hands, stiffness and pain in my neck and between my shoulder-blades, and feelings of weakness and disjointedness in my legs.
I went and got 3 opinions and all said that I needed immediate ACDF surgery on the c6-c7 level only but would need to monitor the other levels going forward for signs of further degradation.
I got my c6-c7 ACDF surgery done 3 days ago.
- I feel that my legs are my own again. My legs still feel a little weak but I sense them properly and they are not as squirly as they were starting to become.
- The pain in my hands and arms has gone away, but then reappearred - most likely from the swelling. The doctor said this might happen off and on for a few weeks.
- I am in moderate pain especially in the shoulders, back of neck, and between the shoulder-blades. It is hard to change position from vertical to horizontal and back.
- My heartbeat has been elevated to between 100 to 115 bpm consistently since the surgery. Pre-surgery my heatbeat was in the 70 to 85 bpm range. My doctor also said this was normal and that it should go down over the next week or so.
- My throat was initially hurting quite a bit, making it hard to swallow. Today is the first day I've sensed improvement.
- It was very difficult immediately after the surgery to urinate and have a bowel movement. I had to have a one time catheter put in to empty my bladder. Since then both urination and bowels have been slowly coming back to normal. I'm told this happened as a result of the anesthesia and the pain meds that were given to me via I.V.
I will continue to post my progress. Thanks all for your posts, it helped me a lot so I wanted to write my experiences here to hopefully help others as well.
- Diagnosed with Congenital Cervical Stenosis ,degenerative discs c4-c5, c5-c6, c6-c7, spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy c6-c7
- ACDF Surgery c6-c7