Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Drop Foot Will I recover?

Hi fellow members.I recently underwent Laminectomy surgery with fusion of L4-L5 (with instruments).This was brought on by weakness in my right leg and foot.I had symptoms for perhaps 2 years prior to surgery which included weakness in my right leg and progressive foot drop.Fortunately pain was never an issue.MRI diagnosed that I had a compressed nerve root which was causing the weakness.My question is:has anyone had full recovery of motion/strength even after waiting for 2 years to have the surgery? My surgery was on April 14,2012.Over 6 months and I am not seeing any improvement.Am I being impatient?Thanks in advance for any insight.-Andy.

• I don't think anyone can tell you for sure what your prognosis is. And, to compare yourself to someone else may not be fair either because each of us has a unique diagnosis.

I would say 6 months is not quite defining but that's just me.
    I had a ruptured disc, lost significant feeling in the buttocks, leg, foot to toe. Lost strength including left ankle reflex (I could not stand on my toes, push up on my toes, and walked with a distinct limp due to things) - not sure if this is true foot drop.

I had first surgery within 3 weeks of issue and 2nd surgery (1st failed) about 6 months later).
    At 6 weeks post op...no much changed - pain or strength or feeling.
    At about 3 months, I noticed less pain
    At about 6 months, I noticed I could walk without a limp but still could not push up/walk on toes
    About a few weeks later...found I could walk on my toes (briefly but could do it) - yes kept trying over time hoping it would strengthen things.

Long story short...finally had a doctor do a test to realize I had a very slight reflex left which is how I recovered on strength.
    So do I think it could still get better for you? Yes.
    But at the same time, I never got the feeling back and it's been 3 years since I first injured myself so I really don't expect to ever recover feeling even thought a small part of me still hopes for it.

Did you got to Physical Therapy?
    Have you seen a Doctor of Osteopathy or Physiatrist (muscular skeletal doctor)? I only ask b/c they work a lot on body mechanics which in turn can help you overcome any adverse issues that may appear due to foot drop or other loss of strength.

Hope this gives you some insight.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    edited 10/23/2012 - 4:15 AM
    can heal many problems. 6 months is not a very long timeframe after having spinal surgery. You may be back up and around, but when you are talking about nerve pain, that can take a lot longer to heal.

You should have this discussion with your doctor to see what they think. As DNICE posted, its impossible to compare your situation with anyone else's. There are too many variables.

That being said, on my 3rd lumbar surgery, I waited almost a year prior to having the surgery. A direct result of that
    was permanent nerve damage. I have a drop foot on the right. Most of the time, I hardly notice it. It becomes more apparent when walking UP stairs and when ever I have a lumbar flare up.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks you for the helpfull insights.I do still have hope for some sort of recovery since the surgeon said that the nerve root could re-generate itself at a rate of about 1 millimeter per day.Or not...I just worry that I waited too long and maybe due to this fact have inflicted permanent damage to the nerve root.Physiotherapy was not very helpfull in my case.I do walk alot at work and also work out every day which includes 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.I know that I will need to be patient and have a positive attitude no matter what.-Andy.