Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Its Over and Done with - Isnt it??

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
This is not meant to be a gloomy post, but instead a warning or bit of advice.

I've read a number of posts over the years dealing with the subject of activities after surgery.

Activities - they need to be identified and discussed with your doctor for approval and to find out if there are any adjustments that need to be made to that activity

For example, if you are a downhill skier, the mogul runs may be ruled out.
I think most people can understand that.

But I think the more subtle activities can be the ones that get us into trouble.

We head into surgery because of the various pains and problems we were experiencing. Surgery then eliminates that pain and we start to move on. Our doctors provide us with the information regarding all the restrictions and limitations we need to adhere to. Most of us will remember this and follow those instructions to the tee.

BUT Then.... when we start to feel better, slowly we tend to forget about those limitations. Simple ones , such as when bending, instead of bending at the knees we bend at the waist. When we start to forget about things like this, we could just be setting ourselves up for future problems.

I know, I am one of those folks who once they got better , threw out the rule book. Then again I was in my late 20's to mid 30's and I know I was invincible and spinal problems were not going to stop me from doing what I wanted.

I also know that because of that mindset, I eventually had 3 additional lumbar surgeries, 3 cervical, a number of active (but not erupting) thoracic discs... Can this be proven? Hard to say, but the same doctor who did all those surgeries sure believes that with better care, I may NOT had to have all those additional surgeries.

But it has been proven that BECAUSE of those 7 spinal surgeries and countless Spinal injections, I developed a degenerative arthritic problem that as of lately required two complete shoulder replacements, 1 complete hip replacement with the other hip deteriorating as I write.

But even following all the rules, there are times we may do just a little too much.. What that little too much differs from person to person. Still the end result is the same. We get flare ups that put us down for a little, make us worry a bit and slow things down.

Those flare ups should serve as a lesson for all of us. If we are going to play, when then might have to pay

There is NO grantee that even IF you follow all the rules, play it smart, that future spinal problems could happen.
I encourage everyone to pay more attention to what we have been told. Our bodies can get stronger and our
minds play such an important role in our futures, dont allow your mind to forget!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Almost 7 weeks post-op L5S1 microD. Already had a 2 week setback because I was feeling good and thought I could put a part in a vice at work. WRONG! Just getting over that. Now I want to get better, stronger, faster. Got a gym membership, they have a pool. Did about 30 mins of light swimming along with walking on treadmill. Next day went to PT and was trying to do it all, do more, all that. I wouldnt call it a setback as of yet, but I am feeling it today.

Im 32, spent almost 2 years doing next to nothing pre-surgery. I want life to go back to normal. 7 weeks seems like a long time, I know its not. Gotta slow down.

Great advice!!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • I am 58 and just had surgery, Never in my life Had surgery ,but 2 level fusion with 2 decompressions have sure made me think differently about the chores and exercise i do, I want some Quality of life now,after to being unable to participate in golf/walking and other activities for so long, I will my best to remember not to over do anything, The surgery has given me a second chance, I do not want to undo the surgeons great work,
  • I spent quite a long time getting over operations - to ensure everything settled down. The biggest mistake I ever made was at 6 weeks post-op (from having a 2-level fusion). When I was told I could start driving again I thought Yippee! I took the short journey very gingerly, I was careful not to sit too far fowards etc., and, just when I thought I'd succeeded, at the end of my practice drive, I started to reverse into my own driveway and, without even thinking about it, twisted around to check that nothing was behind me. It was an automatic response and I immediately felt a sharp pain in my back.

Needless to say, that has been the start of increased back/leg pain and further surgery last year..

It is frustrating not to be able to do the things we used to enjoy (like gardening) and I am slowly coming to terms with this. I do things more carefully, perhaps for 20 minutes then having a break before starting again.

Work has also been a huge problem for me, and I have had to change jobs recently and, because the job involves sitting for most of the day, the pain issues have come back with avengence! I am now going to try and get up and move about far more than I did before and the occupational health doctor advises me to do this too. However, it's not so easy when I'm dealing with clients or in training etc. But I know it's a necessity to relieve the pressure/pain in my spine.

When you get days when the pain is more controlled than others, it's so easy to tackle jobs that have been put off for so long. I hate asking for help and try very hard to do most things around the house independently.

After 7 years I can honestly say it's only now that I'm slowly, very slowly, adapting to the restrictions I know I must adhere to. But sometimes I still do things without thinking (like picking something up quickly after I've dropped it), it's almost like a natural reflex, and know immediately afterwards that I shouldn't have done that. It's a learning process and it's not easy!!!

Thanks for your post.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I still do things that I know darn well is gonna hurt me but I do them anyhow, now I am not doing those things anymore :) or try not to , im stubborn and only hurt myself when I do those things..
  • I try very hard to learn from all you folks here.
    I am currently in a very routine and focused mode.
    Remembering to do my PT stretches regularly, watching my weight, health, and posture and activity.
    But then some days I do feel invincible again....like I have at least '1 more' go around. I almost have to stop myself before I start.

• I told my pain Dr I was going to go bungy jumping and that should straighten me right out lol

I know I cant and I would never do that after seeing some people jump and they find the rope was to long.
  • I think your 100% right, but why have you had 7 surgeries? And by the same surgeon. He must see you as a good customer. Were all of these 100% necessary? I know I have had 1 surgery and like other people on this fourm would have to think long and hard about having additional surgeries unless the doctor could prove to me that it was 100% needed to help me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Why I had all the spinal surgeries?
    We've pretty much determined that it was sports, specifically Football in my younger years that started the spinal problems. For each of my lumbar surgeries, I had partial paralysis in my legs (right mostly) due to nerve impingement. I waited too long for the last one and as a result of have some permanent nerve damage and a partial drop right foot.

Pretty much the same for my cervical surgeries. Numbness and loss of strength in my arm (right). Worse were the extreme headaches daily that put me down.

Then because of all the scar tissue and rigid lumbar area and the fused cervical area, I started to herinate several thoracic discs. Those, I am not going to have surgery for.

So, were all those necessary? Sure thing, 100%, no question about it, from my doctors, my diagnostic testing and my family. If I didnt have those surgeries, I doubt if I would be walking today.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ESI are good but they can sure get you into trouble ! I always feel better about a week out and then go and do stupid things and end up hurting myself!
This discussion has been closed.