Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does a heavier person require more pain meds than a lighter person

My other half and I have had this discussion on more than one occasion.
He weighs about 295 and i weigh about 160.. We are both in chronic pain everyday due to similar back injuries.
We get about the same pain meds.. he tries to tell me that it takes him more to relieve his pain because of his size.
Yes, he is a whiz at science and says stuff like " If I have 2 beers and he has 2 beers , My blood alcohol would be higher, that I naturally agree with and do not dispute. And I would agree that the an anesthesiologist uses weight because he is putting you under deeply.
However, the pain meds.. I do not.. I know people lighter than the both of us whos dosage is more than ours .
I try to tell him that pain meds work on the brain, the part that tells you that you are in pain and pain meds block that.
That is has nothing to do with weight .
Any thoughts ?

• ohiomomom44oohiomomom44 Posts: 4
    edited 10/24/2012 - 11:44 AM
    I found this on Web MD
    Opioid Pain Medications

Narcotic (or opioid) pain medicines such as codeine, oxycodone (Percocet, OxyContin), hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lortab), and morphine work by blocking the transmission of pain messages to the brain. These powerful pain relievers can help relieve severe lower back pain, but they are intended to be used only for a short period of time (not until all pain goes away). Narcotic drugs should only be used under a doctor's supervision because they can cause physical dependence and addiction. Other side effects include severe drowsiness and constipation.
  • I don't believe weight has anything to do with how much pain medication you take. I weigh a little more than my husband...boo...and he takes more than I do and has been on it a shorter time than I have. My brother weighs 60 lbs. more than my sister in law and she takes more than he does. Actually I take more than he does and he weighs more than I do. I have a very low tolerance for pain meds and doesn't take much to help me, thank goodness. My husband has a very high tolerance and needs more to help him. So I agree with you :)

• ohiomomom44oohiomomom44 Posts: 4
    edited 10/25/2012 - 8:20 AM
    Thank you .. I have been doing more research and weight in definitely NOT a factor on the dosage .
  • I asked my pain Dr this very question, as I recently have gained over 50 lbs :(

He assured me weight means nothing in regards to this as it's really all about the brain getting the meds.

However there is a difference in say a 120 lb women & a 120 lb child/young teen BUT that again is due to their brain not their weight.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • i also agree that weight doesn't play a significant difference. i am a bigger woman and i generally tend to require/need about half of what the hospital would give to the average women coming to the ER
This discussion has been closed.