Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does it take you to get to "base" pain relief?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 10/25/2012 - 9:15 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone :) I have been gone from here for a longggggg time (6 to 8 months).
Hopefully now that I got our current life "crisis" under control I can come back much more frequent.

My biggest issue at the moment is how long it is taking me to get my body to what I call my base level of pain. I am never pain free but I do reach a level that allows me to do things I can't do out of that range.

However it takes me aprox 5 to 6 hrs every day to get to that range. If I take more meds when I first get up then I get so sick to my stomach with or without food/milk etc. (I've tried everything) that I end up having to lay down any ways & I've wasted a dose of meds. So I have to take 2 pills to be at a "OK" level - as in so I am not gasping in pain with every move.

Then I have to wait aprox 4 hrs to take 3 more pills (after a small meal) to reach a base level of pain. That allows me to go to grocery store, go to Drs, get hair cut, take dog to vet etc etc. NOT all the same day! I do 2 at the most 3 things a day at base level. Then aprox 4 hrs more into the day I take 2 to 3 more pills and those allow me to do easy things, like cook a quick meal, take a shower etc.

I do have many days that I never reach my second base level of pain control though.

So every day I "waste" 5 to 6 hrs waiting to really begin my life......sigh
While I am waiting for the second dose I try SO hard to do things I enjoy. Like go to facebook, take a computer class etc., things that won't task my body. However I find myself wanting to DO something!!! I am really depressed every day waiting on the second dose to be due. I have to force myself not to go back to bed to wait out the 4 to 5 hrs of waiting time :(

Is anyone else like this?

I am on Oxycodone 5 mg tabs - 2 to 3 pills every 4 to 6 hrs, not allowed to take more then 8 pills a day total.

I also wear the Fentanyl patch 75 mcg & change it every 48 hrs.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• ? can anyone help me out with this?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi MsHumptyDumpty, we've never "officially" met, but i read many of your posts before i finally joined up, so if i may ask, how is the family doing? Am i remembering right that you have grandchildren? Anyway, i apologize if i'm being too personal and feel free to ignore me 8-)

I was just wondering if maybe spacing your pills out differently may help? Like maybe instead of 3 every 4 hours, maybe one every hour and a half? or one and a half every 2 hours? Do you take Ibuprofen or any muscle relaxers? I admit, i have forgotten what your pain problems are. Hopefully, I've helped a little? 8-) Best of luck to you!
  • MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
    edited 10/26/2012 - 1:01 PM
    Hey There!!!! :)

I will fill you on family later (a huge thank you for asking!) as I am getting ready to leave to do a errand.

My issue is having to wait for the second dose before I can get pain under control to do anything.

I "waste" 4 to 5 hrs as my stomach can't handle anything any sooner. So the idea of taking (as example) 2 when I wake up & then an hr or 2 later taking another 1 will give me the same issues.....sigh

I MUST take 2 pills when I wake up or I can't hardly walk. 1 pill on waking does not touch my pain.

After my second dose which is always 3 pills I am good to go. NOT pain free by any means but at my base level that allows me to do some things.

• sounds to me like you might benefit from a medication change. Does you PM doctor know your these kinds of issues? Are you seeing a PM doctor or is another doctor writing your scrips? If you one the patch your getting round the clock coverage but maybe its not enough and needs to be adjusted up. If your taking 8 break through pain pills during the day I would say your coverage isn't high enough. I'm not doctor so that i who you need to see. If you have talked to them about this what did they say?

Good luck going forward.
  • I also have trouble with many pain meds make me sick to my stomach. I started taking Nucynta 50mg, two of them 3 times a day. I do not have the nausea with this medication and it keeps my pain at a tolerable level. Some times I will take one when I first get up and if pain level is not to high I will take one every 3 to 4 hrs. and then take two with a Baclofen at bedtime. I have never had any nausea or vomiting from this medication. I hope this helps and thnaks for being here for us newer members :)

• charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 10/26/2012 - 8:46 PM
    I switched from Fentanyl back to MS Contin back to Fentanyl and was thinking of going backt to MS Contin but Im going to try radio frequency ablation to see if it helps first. I find wearing the Fentanyl on my stomach or flank more effective than my arm as think it has to do with fat absorption but thats not medical advice or anything.

I want to even change back to ms contin as Im doing warm water thereapy and its the only exercise except short walks for now. Im afraid the warm water therapy will burn up my fentayl patch too soon also. Aerthritis aquafit was really relaxing and a good workout but once I got out of the water I felt like I was hit with so much gravity I couldnt get to my cane fast enough. Youre lucky you get BTP meds. My Dr. will only give me one Perc a day!

I hope you see your Dr and hope youre trying the usual gel ice packs and maybe another assessment MRI or reassess your meds again. One thing with the patch I find I can get our of bed right away but as the day goes on I get worse. Nice to hear from you again although wish you were in better spirits. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So great to see you back on the boards! Sorry to hear that there was a "crisis" but glad that it is under control and you are back here.
    I know exactly what you mean about wasting 5-6 hours a day, I am the same way (although not the nausea, just pain and mobility issues) When I first wake up I take my long acting meds and then sit in lazy boy, then a couple of hours later need a breakthrough med. Back to lazy boy. I make sure not to schedule any errands, appointments, etc until the afternoon if at all possible. By early afternoon I can usually handle one short outing, errand, or manage to putter about house. It amazes me how one activity can finish me off so quickly though. Then evenings are usually very quiet until bedtime, then wake up and do it all again. You are definately not alone.

Charry that is awesome that you have done arthritis aquafit, we have it in my area and I really want to try it. I have been to the pool, but cannot do traditional swimming except floating on my back since doing any front crawl type swimming really hurts. I water walk and float around for the most part and then love the hottub. Are you still doing the aquafit, or was it too difficult when you got out?

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I'm writing on my iPhone - so writing will be crappy - but I have same thing - don't really feel good till 2nd dosage. I'm on mscontin lyrica and percocet and ibuprofen. But why so many 5mg codeine for you? ER meds make me much less nauseous than ir meds - when I went above 3 percocet a day my pm upped the ER meds as the codeine is for breakthrough. 8 x 5 ir when you do it every day - may as well up the ER med. Still - I don't feel good until my afternoon meds either. No lyrica? Ibuprofin? Or muscle relaxants? Ice?warm bath shower? Take care
  • I have 4-6 hrs of "gas" in me a day, which ever way I do it. The rest is sleep, lazy-boy,rest tv.
  • Actually -2-6 hrs a day - light activity, shufffling around sitting leaning- i do 6 hrs one day it's 2 or less the next day.
    edited 10/27/2012 - 3:11 PM
    I (because I am nice lol) am sorry so many can relate to my situation and yet (because I am human lol) am happy someone understands. :)

I do have the option of going to 100 mcg of F patch but I am holding out on that as have been told that after that dosage "you don't have much wiggle room left for med having tried you on SO many before".

The 2 I mentioned I am on are the ONLY 2 that have ever touched me. All the other ones (and I have tried them all or very close to it) were honestly worthless with bring me ZERO pain relief.

Coyote for some reason my body does not respond well to the ER meds. As in I got almost no pain relief from them - again not sure why.

I have talked about this a few times with Dr and he told me to "play" with the timing/amounts, so I was hoping someone here seen a open spot I was over looking. Some times the answer is obvious to everyone else but myself ;)

I am guessing this is one of those situations that I need to learn to be thankful for what I DO have & remind myself that there are people out there would would LOVE to have my "problem", as they get little to no pain coverage time.

I can remember those days from far back myself...... :(

Just a quick FYI as I see several here responded that I have know for awhile. My "crisis" was/is my hubby (who if you recall when I joined here I shared was a total A&&) at the age of 48 has Dementia. Not the Alzheimer type. He has PICKS disease which cause all the same things as Alzheimer does Plus turns people into mean, non caring A&&'s, depression and other mental health issues.
    I just was NO good to anyone for several months as I tried to wrap my brain around all of this.
    I still have bad days dealing with it but for the most part I've pulled it together and am trying to move forward with a new game plan of life :)

edited 10/27/2012 - 3:22 PM
    PS: "extra meds" - ie. lyrica - The whole "neuropathic pain" family of meds gives me really nasty side effects. We did try the one non med patch (sorry can't recall name begins with L, treats like a menthol type numbing cream ) and it did zero for me.

Ibuprofin - kill my stomach

muscle relaxants - drop me like a dead horse - but I do take them (flexeril) at bed time to help sleep

can't get in or out of tub any more

still doing ice/heat/massage pad/heat patches/etc off on back & forth - you know try ABC - to Z & then start over again ;)

BUT I do remain wide open to new ideas :)

This discussion has been closed.