Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Clean Stripe

You know what I've discovered? Because I don't like to (and it hurts) to bend down or reach too far up, I have a clean stripe around my house. It's around the middle of each room - it's clean up to where I can reach (without using tippy toes) and down to where my arm reaches (did I mention I won't bend?). So basically, I never look down because it's dirty there and I don't look up because it's dirty there too. But I do have a clean stripe. :-)

Having a 3-lvl ACDF has helped me ignore those areas since my ROM is limited, but perhaps not that limited. If only hairballs would just pick themselves up to waist height...

• How are your skills with a grabber? My granddaughter and I used to play games picking up things with the grabber before my lumbar fusion. I'd better get practising again ready for my 2 level ACDF in just over a week!! At the moment, all my post surgical 'equipment' is up in the loft. We had better get it down. At least it is not like expecting a baby, when you can go into labour early. I won't need it before my surgery!

I am lucky to have a friend come and help with my housework which has meant that we have managed to get the house looking pretty good. After my surgery she will continue to do all the cleaning while I am recovering.

• Hi there. My grabber is always around, but I was just thinking this morning about what you mentioned. Where's my shower chair and toilet seat riser? What else. Ack, get em out, dust em off...yuck. Lol about pregnancy!

What's a clean house?
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 10/27/2012 - 12:31 PM
    Do you have any advice for me about to have my 2 level ACDF (I think you had a 3 level didn't you?).
    Where could you manage to sleep?
    What could you manage to eat?
    Did you have voice problems?
    What sort of pain control did you have in the hospital?
    How was your incision closed?
    I believe you found the recovery easier than your lumbar fusion?
    As you can see, I am thinking about how I will be after the surgery, and have lots of questions.
    Just over a week to go!!

What is your date for surgery?
    I hope that this time you will have a very long time of feeling pretty normal and that there will not be any need for any more spinal surgery.
    Take care,

• MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
    edited 10/27/2012 - 3:45 PM
    Cathie, Being a cleaning freak - in part being as I've owned my own commercial cleaning biz for over 25 yrs lol ;)

I am much like you with a clean stripe. However I found this amazing new cleaning tool that I am in love with. I found it at Dollar General (not the 1.00 type stores) for about 15.00 Picture those "mops" that are totally flat on the bottom that you put a cloth wet or dry on to sweep and or clean your floors. Think they are called swiffers. This is much larger and comes with a cloth "mop". It swivels & turns in all directions. I did ALL of my walls, base boards etc with it this year. I could had done my ceilings but I knew looking up with bent neck would cost me a huge pain price so my 11 yr grandson did those for me.

I have even used it to polish my end stands, shelves & things I can't bend or stretch to get to.

I bought 2 of them so I can use one just for polishing. Even though they wash up in the machine quite well, I wanted a separate one.

If this sounds like something you could use let me know & I will dig up company info for you. I can not find them at Walmart or any other store - not sure why.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • First, hi again Jelly. I'll answer your questions the best I can, just remember that these are only my experiences.

Yes, yes yes, the recovery from cervical ACDF was much easier than the lumbar recovery.

I slept in my recliner for the first week or two with hubby on the couch in case I needed anything in the middle of the night. I had a hard brace on for the first month, so it was the most comfortable. Then I moved to the bed slightly inclined then flat when it was comfortable.

I didn't have much problem eating and even ate a pork chop my first day home (only one night in the hospital). My voice was raspy for a long time, though, and now my singing voice went from soprano to alto. That's permanent, obviously.

In the hospital I had a dilaudid drip and it sucked. For my lumbar, I told my surgeon that the dilaudid did nothing so he gave me a morphine drip for that surgery. Much better, but when I'd sleep and couldn't press the button, I'd wake up in excruciating pain, so they decided to put it on a permanent small drip and still allow me to press the button for more relief. But remember that was my lumbar which was much more painful. In any case, if you have a problem with dilaudid, ask for the morphine drip.

My incision was vertical (due to the three levels) and was barely noticeable once it healed. I had dissolvable stitches, but had to pull out a few myself after a while. My surgeon's PA was quite pleased with himself with how well he closed the incision and how unnoticeable it was. For some reason, it's more noticeable now. :-(

Suggestions: just the usual - keep up on your meds, rest, and walk when you can. Of course maintain the BLT restrictions, although twisting isn't too bad for the cervical. Don't be surprised if you feel pretty good for a couple of days after you get home. My hubby was upset that I felt so good and even said "Can't you just act like you just had major surgery???". Lol. He got his wish two days later when I felt like I got hit by a truck - the inner meds must have worn out then. Also, pillows, grabber, and warm blankey are imperative.

As for this surgery, I really need a 5-level, but he just wants to stabilize the two above my current fusion so I can continue working. He's hoping to buy me 5 more years or so before he has to do the 3 other ones because he believes I won't be able to work after that. Hubby keeps wanting to plan for when that time comes, but I refuse to talk about it now. I'm hoping this next one will hold on for a while, although with my current job, everything went bad in one year due to all the lifting, bending and twisting associated with it. Ack.

I know I'll never feel "normal" again, that's a given, but most of us never do.

Beth, I think I saw a commercial on the thing you're talking about. I'd love more info on it as I have to get my house cleaned up before my surgery Dec. 18. It sounds like that would help a lot. I do use a swiffer duster, and have a swiffer mop, but mopping hurts too much so that's hubby's job. Please do let me know where I can get one, thank you. :-)

Jelly, let me know if you have more questions and I'll do my best to help. Wow, just over one week? Awesome.