Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin, Post Discectomy Pain

Hi all, If anyone has thoughts or input on this it would be greatly appreciated.

L5S1 MicroD sept 6th. Woke with NO leg pain.

1st 2 weeks normal surgery pain, no biggie. 2nd 2 weeks, returned to work & started PT. A little tough, but still no leg pain. Until I tweaked my back, tightening a vice. Light leg pain returned. Got better over next 2 weeks. Then I think I pushed too hard. Went swimming in gym pool, pretty light but maybe still too much. Next day definetley went too hard at PT. Leg pain returns next day, not bad, but there which is very upsetting. Seemed to get better each day, pain moved around alot. This past saturday went to a party, and found myself leaning against things when standing. Just like old times, very depressing. None of this pain is nearly as bad as pre-surgery.

So anyways, saw surgeon yesterday. Gave him the whole story. He said " I think it will go away, Im gonna write you a prescription for Nuerontin, it should help. Come back in 2 weeks" Well thanks doc, thats all good & well, But WHY? This doc has usually spent a good amount of time explaining things to me, but not this visit. So Im taking the neurontin.

Any responses to the post-surgery pain or anything about neurontin would be great. I researched the drug & got alot of info, but that's not the same as peoples stories.

Thanks all.
L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!

• I personally threw my neurontin out. I know it helps tons of people but the list of side effects scared the poo out of me! You are still very early in the recovery stage.
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 11/02/2012 - 3:49 AM
    Thanks for the reply. The side effects are def a big consideration, but so far so good. I actually think the anti depression & anxiety effects are helping me. And the nerve pain is being blocked as well. I do want a longer-term solution/plan from the doc when I see him in about a week. Enjoying not having the pain but I would rather fix it than block it.
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • This can be tough stuff. It took me a while to get used to it and my 25 mile drive to work.

What's your dosage?
  • ben_indianabben_indiana Posts: 288
    edited 11/13/2012 - 3:10 AM
    300mg 3x per day, has been working well for me. Now doc wants me off of it already. 3rd week wean off which is this week. Not sure why I was put on it in the first place just to be taken right off.
  • Had the surgery on L5S1 and I'm better than I was but still suffering from sciatic pain in buttock and left leg. It's very frustrating but I'm hoping I'm just being impatient about what to expect. My doctor just put me on a 100mg dose of gabapentin and I'm optimistic about what I've read on various message boards. I'm worried about the low dose and if it will help the symptoms...most that I read show +1000mg doses.
  • Love the name LOL. I can picture the ninja having to stop after every battle encounter to rest & wait for the pain to go away! Im pretty sure thats what dosage they had me on too. I was weened off after only 2 weeks. Seemed kinda silly to me but whatever. I dont think it helped me get better overall but it did take that nerve pain away for those 2 weeks. Now maybe I got a little stronger or more healed when on it, but I have had less pain since.

Def gotta be patient with that recovery. I have alot of posts on my expiriences so seek them out when you can. I am hoping to be 100% by summer.l I think a 4-6 month recovery time is way more realistic than the 4-6 weeks I hoped for originally. Accepting that was a huge step for me. Alot of that depends on what you definition of recovery is.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I only wished there was nerve pain medications when I had all of my lumbar surgeries! Still, in the aftermath of my old surgeries, I still have some permanent nerve damage and a semi-drop right foot. I have been dealing with nerve pain in my legs longer than I want to talk about.

I first started using Lyrica, 75mg a day... No problem, just made me real tired. We up'd to 150mg a day and it was crazy. I could fall asleep in the middle of a conversation. Then we notice my knees and feet swelling, so we stopped that!

Then I went on to Neurontin. Small dosage to start with 200mg a day and slowly worked up to about 2600mg a day.
    Now, after about 4 years on Neurontin, I am talking 1500mg daily. spread out throughout the day. Neurontin has helped me so much. To me, there is nothing worse than nerve pain. I haven't had any negative effects using Neurontin. Perhaps, one, my memory isnt that great, especially my short term memory. But then again, my wife has always told me that I have selective memory.

Ben,I would stick with Neurontin for the long haul. Doctors have a lot of flexibility with this medication when it comes to dosage.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Finally got my doctor's ear for a phone consult today. Told him the gabapentin was not making a difference that I could tell at this point. Really focused the conversation on the sciatic pain after 8 weeks since surgery. He's ordered another MRI but this time they will use an IV dye. I guess I'm glad but the prospect could be more surgery. Anyone know the number to Doc Brown? I sure would love to borrow his time machine.
  • mp