Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Some General Information - Hopefully Helpful

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
edited 10/30/2012 - 5:35 PM in Spine-Health Announcements
Spine-Health Forum membership has been growing. I look at that as a good/bad situation. Its good to see people coming to this site for information and help, but its bad to know that more and more people are in pain and need help.

From time to time, I make a general announcement that is meant to cover several areas and hopefully reduce the amount of duplicate posts.

I am too young for this
Unfortunately, spinal problems never discriminate regarding age. You are never too young or too old to have problems. Many doctors feel that youth has its advantages. You should be stronger, have more stamina and be able to hold up to many of the treatments and perhaps recovery after surgery. It generally takes a younger person a shorter time to heal than a person in their 50's, 60's or older.

I had surgery, xx weeks ago (xx = 6 to 15) and I was feeling good, but now have pain
Spinal surgery , no matter how minor the type may be is still a major event to your body. With any surgery you go through different phases. First, its the initial post surgical pain you have to deal with. Second, you start to notice that the pain you had before surgery is no longer there!. Third, after a number of weeks, after physical therapy, etc, you start to feel some additional pain and discomfort. You become worried that something is really wrong. Did the surgery fail? Most of the time, this is normal . Total recovery from spinal surgery takes time. I cant even put a timeline on this, because it differs from person to person.

My future and life is over This one can be the most difficult to deal with. Here you are, perfectly normal, enjoying
everything without limitations. You have spinal problems, perhaps surgery and you feel that your life as you knew it is over.
This is not unusual. I can only urge folks that feel this way to read some of the posts from members who have been there, experienced what you are feeling and still have an totally enjoyable and rewarding life.

I can say this for myself. 7 Spinal surgeries, 3 total joint replacements, 1 upcoming, Advancing arthritis ripping through my body, my eyes going do to those many steroid injections. It hasnt been easy, but I've come to terms with everything and instead of dwelling about what I can no longer do, I spend my energy in seeing just what more I can do.

My doctors is not helping me Any successful relationship, be it with a doctor, your spouse or children depends on lot on two way effective communication and trust. Many times I read a post where a person talks about how cruel and cold their doctor is because they are not addressing the concerns of the person. You read it further and you find that many times its because that person didnt like what the doctors told them. Perhaps they wanted more and stronger pain medications, perhaps they wanted or didnt want surgery. Alone that is not a reason to go out and find another doctor that will tell you what you want to hear. Spend time with your doctors, understand them and make them understand you.
They are no different than you or me. Establish communications, if at first they dont seem to do that or talk over your head, stop them, and explain that its important for you to understand them, and for them to understand you.

What does my < diagnostic test > mean. Well this one is really a forum violation. We make it clear that we do not want members asking other members to analyze their diagnostic tests and we do not want any member responding and providing input. Its not that we dont want to help, but this is purely a medical situation and can be handled only with
trained medical professionals. There is no one on the Spine-Health forums that is qualified for that.

I am upset about what someone just said This happens not only here but on any online forum site. It can be difficult to interpret when someone is saying online. I only ask, that when you find someone's post objectionable or hurtful, please
contact one of the Moderators that work with me. (Liz, Tamtam) Do not start to engage in an online debate that many times becomes a war.

I just had a ESI and now I feel worse Spinal injections, ESI probably has been one of the most covered topics here.
It almost seems like there is a 50/50 success rate. I encourage anyone that has a question or concern regarding any type of spinal injection, to look under the Treatment section on the main site and click on Injections Spinal Injections

Please if there are other topics that I have missed here or you want more information on, just let me know

Hoping that you can be as pain free as possible
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com