Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help me

Hello can someone please help me understand what the surgeon told me. I have severe cervical bi lateral foraminal stenosis on multiple levels with osteophytes and probable nerve root compression as well as herniated discs at c5-c7. For the past six months I have tried epidural injections, traction,pt, and today I had a trams foraminal nerve block at c-7. Last week the surgeon said I needed surgery (Acdf) today he said he wanted to do the transforaminal injection first to ensure that this is indeed the source of my pain and numbness in my arm and hand. If the shot works do I still need surgery? Is this type of injection therapeutic or for diagnosis? I have had short term relief with the epidural injections in thei past but the pain and numbness always return. I have had a total of 7 injections this far. The pain and numbness are affecting my quality of life and are interfering with my job (I work in a physical active career). so I guess my biggest question is simply what next?

I am a 34y/o male in good shape other than a compression fracture at t4 and the cervical problems listed above.
ThankI advance for any help or suggestions.

• This is just my guess so dont take it as any more than that. The doc gives you the shot at the compression area to see if it numbs the area. If so then he knows for sure where your problem is. again just a guess.

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Well from my situation were I had to have a fusion of c5-c7 my doctor told me that there is a progression before surgery. Even though my Dr knew that the end result would be surgery he had to do the hole injection thing. After my injections my pain was back in a week and now im 12 months since my surgery. My fusion has gone bad as i am a Officer and when i shot my shotgun I formed a non union and now have to go in for a 2nd surgery to fuse c4 now. But let me tell you the first surgery made my life so much better after the helling. I was always gaurding my neck holding my sholders up not moving my neck but my body to look left and right. If you send me your email i will send you pics of my xrays just so you can get an idea. Heck im home from work till next surgery i can talk on phone if you want. Anyway good luck let me know anyway i can help
  • Thanks for all the advice. Smash 54 did you have transforaminal injections? I appreciate my surgeon being cautious but I just did not understand him saying I needed surgery then one week later trying another injection but what you said made sense. I am so tired of living with pain and in our profession you know how hard it is to make it through the day. I originally wanted nothing to do with surgery I am now at the point were I want this to end and get my life back. I private messages you my email. Thanks for the support and advice. I guess I just need to wait until my appointment Monday to find out what is next.