Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice - should I or not...

I have had back problems for as long as I can remember really. It can happen suddenly and I'm in bad pain and can't bend, do normal things. Sometimes so bad that I can't get off floor, or the in car, other times ca muddle through. I take pain killers, goes away as such until next episode.

In 2006, I had an MRI etc (work has private health scheme), also had some epidurals, and they found some disc degeneration, slipped disc on my L5 area. Went to a neurosurgeon I think, he basically said yes there is some protuction and up to me whether want to surgery or not, decided not.

Since this summer I've had 2 bad episodes whereby he pain in my leg has been really bad. 1st one felt like my hamstring was pulled, burning, really difficult to walk, next time more my calf. Sciatica I suspect.

Been to GP and getting referred again to a consultant, think he's an oeseopath. Here's my dilemma. Because my problem seems to come and go (can be pain free, no problem, then just pop), Don you think surgery, trimming the prolapsed disc away will fix all my problems?

Lately its been bad, on codine again for pain, really stiff, difficult to walk, do normal things, putting socks on is difficult (a lot of reason is as I'm so stiff in general though).

Sorry for long post, so in my position whereby it comes and goes, if the MRI this time shows same, do you hink I should go for the Op?

• NHbackNNHback Posts: 35
    edited 11/06/2012 - 10:22 AM
    I had a piece of my L5/S1 disc completely ruptured and sitting on my S1 nerve root. I had a micro-D on 10/3. For 4 weeks recovery went as smooth as I could hope for. Last few days a few minor nerve twinges have crept up so I am still feeling I cant say whether surgery was a success yet... see my surgeon next on 11/14 and need his opinion/advice...
  • Anyone have sharp pain above incision area on left side? I am in 4th week after my fusion and first time I have had
    A pain like that come and go last couple days. I have some leg pain and foot numbness on that side also since surgery.
    I am going back to Oxycodone 5 mg.after stepping back to Norco5/325 the last week. not quite ready for Norco yet
    Doesn't help as much.. thanks for any help.. I try walk some every day,no PT,few leg stretches every day..
    rying not to bend or twist...
  • Excellent threads on whether have or not. When is enough, enough.
    Need to research and understand the risks and options. Then make an informed decision.
    Many people increase core strength and are fine without surgery. Many work with a physiatrist and succeed.
    All the best.