Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how often are your meds adjusted?

my pm doc. just doesnt seem to listen to me when i keep telling him it just doesnt work like it used too anymore.... once again, been on the same dose for over two years since 4th surgery. pain is almost to the unbearable point again.....what to do???

• Are your meds short acting or long acting and how long have you been with this doctor? Is he a pain management doctor or physiatrist? What doses of your meds are you currently taking? All of those things tend to have an impact on what types of meds are used, and what dosages a doctor may be comfortable prescribing.
    I have been with the same practice since prior to my first back surgery in 2006.....My relationship with my PM doctor though has been built over those years so when I tell him something isn't working well or as well as it once did...he tends to listen to me.
    I don't know that there is a time line for changing meds around, other than for when they loose their effectiveness. That seems to be the situation that you are in at the moment. Have you tried to explain to him/her that your ability to function is lessening? Or being very very clear that your pain levels are inhibiting your activities?
    If that doesn't work, then it might be time to start thinking about checking out other pain management alternatives, interviewing new doctors.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    it can become very necessary to alter your medications. That does not mean to increase the dosage, but perhaps a switch to something else.

When my Physiatrist recognized that I was not getting the adequate relief from my current medications, she decided to make some changes. I had been on Oxycontin (ER) and Oxycodone (IR) for several years and it wasnt doing what it started out to do.

The simple answer would be to just increase the dosage so that I would get the relief. Then 2 years from then, increase it again and repeat the cycle. NO!

She switched me over to Opana (ER and the IR version), same dosage, same basic pain narcotic, but a little different.
    That did it. I was then on the Opana for about 3 years and then she switched me back to the Oxycodone IR. For now, I am happy that there is no Oxycontin (ER) in the picture.

So, bottom line, medications do need to get adjusted. Not only pain medications, but muscle relaxers, nerve medication, etc. That takes a good working relationship between you and your doctor. Without that, it can be very difficult
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The PA keeps trying new extended options for me like morphine (made me sick and couldn't sleep) and fentanyl patch (didn't seem to help but didn't make me sick either) but nothing has worked for me yet to supplement the percs, soma, and gabapentin that they have me on. I'm ready to change pain management doctors after almost 2 years of pain post 2 level acdf surgery. They always talk me out of going to visit my neurosurgeon to possibly get another acdf surgery as my c3/c4 could be worked on yet they keep me on meds that barely help me. I am sick of being a miserable person because of constant pain.