Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Nightmare!

I am sure that almost all of you at one time or another has experienced this. Sort of goes hand in hand with spinal problems.

Its the big one, the Muscle Cramp

At the end of a long and exhausting day, you climb into bed hoping to get a good night sleep. For some, that might include watching TV, listening to music, whatever helps get you to sleep.

Ok, you've been in bed about 20 hours, it really seems that long. But looking at the clock, its only 10 minutes after you first
got into bed. Now, you are in a mission to keep track of the time. Hopefully , you will fall asleep shortly. But, the minutes go by, then its hours. All you are thinking is how can you manage the following day without getting any good sleep!

Finally, you start to doze off, you know it, you can feel those sheep as you count them. You slowly turn on your side to get more comfortable.......... BUT WAIT you feel it, its a muscle cramp in your calf! Its throbbing, its like someone is putting a knife into your leg. You try to reach down to rub it NO WAY, that sends you off the page. You start to whimper at first and then a louder cry. Your partner wakes up and asks you What is the matter? You cant even answer, you are catching your breathe.

If ONLY, you could slide out of bed, you try, BUT WOW, it hurts even more. You do finally get out of bed, stand still for a second... Not too bad! You were just lured into a sense of false pain relief. You figure as long as you are standing, you might as well go to the bathroom... You take a step!!!!!!! Fifteen different knives start to jab into your calf... You almost fall, but then more knives start to jab. In a panic you reach down to rub your calf. Finally, after about 20 minutes you have the courage to take a few steps. Not too bad. You can actually walk almost normal.

Cheerfully, you head into the kitchen, get a glass of cold water and feeling fine, you walk back into the bedroom. You climb into bed, breathing a sigh of relief. Peace at last! You then try to move the blankets a bit and WHAM! The cramp is back!

Just another fun night for all of us!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I would (and have) gone through all of this. Then, as I lay there in bed, I'd realize that I had forgotten to go to the bathroom. Even if I did remember to go I would still have to get right back and go again. Even the smallest sip of water seems to go right to my bladder's "gotta go" button.

Some nights I just can't win.
    Disability retirement
    edited 11/08/2012 - 6:48 AM
    Mine does that but not only in the calf of my legs my toes do it to the point where I have to take my other foot and stand on the foot thats cramping to keep it fom knotting up good grief it hurts , and like you said you think the cramp is gone and get into bed and almost doze off and its back again , the joys of chronic pain and our bodys turning against us grrrrrrr
  • I thought I was the only one who experienced the cramps in my bad leg. Its bad enough that I have sciatica in my right leg, i also get muscle cramps there too. They start just above my knee and run all the way down into my toes. I takes everything I got not lay there and scream. My NS said it is related to my herniated L5-S1. He gave me Valium to help with cramps, but I still have them.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Mine are always really bad right after a epidural , I will be sitting or laying on the couch and my toes start moving in cramps on there own trying to curl up , its wierd ..And the buzzing cell phone feeling ..
  • I haven't been getting cramps lately like I had been just a few weeks ago. Right after my last fusion I could almost cause any one or more of my calves and feet to cramp up at will. Thank God that part's over for now.
    Disability retirement
  • I get mine in the back and my Dr. told me to take Baclofen 10mg at bedtime and it really helps. It may be effective for leg cramps also. I don't take them all the time but finding they're really effective even if I take half tab 2x a day and the whole one at night time.If you're standing a lot during the day you may want to do some stretches or get a high stool to sit on through the day to avoid the leg cramp at night. I find if I walk too much I get that leg cramp and it's awful. Hope everyone gets a better rest soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • quicksilverqquicksilver Posts: 126
    edited 11/09/2012 - 1:15 AM
    I was having so many spams during the day that my doctor gave me a script for Soma. I'm taking four per day and most of my spasms are under control. Still I can feel my calves being real close to spasming, but the Soma keeps keep them from happening.

I also have a bar stool that I use when I'm at my workbench. My bench is where I play with my hobbies, and I spend hours with them.
    Disability retirement