Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The right kind of chair

On Oct 9th I had lumbar fusion surgery (T12-L2) and bone graft after having my L1 smashed by a careless car driver. I'm in the process of getting back to work - a few hours a day - but am struggling with finding a comfortable chair.

I suppose there are a couple of issues - I'd like to ensure that I maintain the correct back support and have been following the ergonomic requirements for my work station - needless to say I need a new chair! However as my back is still sore and tender after surgery am I better off looking at using a kneeling stool or swiss ball to sit on?? Or do I perservere with a chair and very thick cushion?

I don't see my neurosurgeon until the 10th Dec and don't really know where to go to get advice in the meantime.

I have not been given any physio to do apart from walking and to keep BLT to a minimum as well as no driving!

Any thoughts, tips, advice or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    You can go can to the Office Max, Staples and 'try' out the various workstation chairs. They all need to have adjustable lumbar support and provide arm rests that are also adjustable.

But in the end, the type of chair isnt the real answer. After all of my surgeries, and spending over 30 years working on Mainframe and Personal Computers, the best way to reduce additional wear and tear is to get up about every 50 minutes and do some stretching and walking for about 10 minutes before returning to your workstation.

The only other chair I think could help would be one of those larger exercise balls (normally green). Sitting on one of them at your workstation forces you into good posture. Of course, you first have to get used to sitting on the ball without falling over.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Ron,

Thanks for that - appreciate the advice and know that for my own sanity I need to make sure I take regular breaks. I'll be talking to the company OH&S Dept as well to ensure what I do end up sitting on will provide the best lumbar support available.