Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 Fusion Surgery - numbness

It is now 4 weeks since my L4/L5 spinal fusion surgery where I had a huge chunk of disk remind from L4/L5. Before my surgery, my left leg was fine, it was just my right leg that was in constant pain. Now, after my surgery, the pain in my right leg has gone, but both my legs are numb and weak at times when I walk. Has anyone else felt this before? About roughly how long does it take for me to start a little bit more normal again?

Also, how long should I keep wearing my compression socks for? Should I keep wearing them?

• Are to prevent DVT whilst in bed and sedentary. So if you are out of bed and not sedentary...... I stopped wearing mine when I was home and up and around heaps.

Nerves are often affected during surgery. Many of us have had affected nerves, with numbness, pain, etc. There are lots of info in other posts on this. You are welcome to look at them. Recovery time, can be weeks or months. Best to discuss your numbness and weakness with your surgeon.

Hope you are feeling more comfortable soon.
  • Hi Terri, it has been 3 weeks since my fusion and Laminectomy, I am still in a lot of pain, nerve pain being the worst. I had the op because of the pain in my right leg down into my foot, my leg felt dead at times and I had drop foot. The weakness I had was from a previous surgery to remove a tumor from my spinal chord. I have been told that the op would improve my leg problems, but as far as my back pain goes, it wouldn't help. It is early days for both of us, you just have to take each day as it comes, some good some not so good. Everyone heals differently, I think we all just pray for the day we are feeling half normal and pain free(now wouldn't that be great). Just rest when you need to, walk around, do bits around the house, within reason. I am finding it hard to sit for long periods of time, I have to either lie down or perch on one side. Your socks, as long as you are up and about not in bed for days at a time, take them off, if it bothers you then put them on at bed time. I am walking with a walking frame at the moment, what are you using? Take care, and let me know how you are doing, you are a week infront of me, Allie x