Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions on how to do certain things

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and this will be my first post. I hope I have this question in the right category. I am 2 months post op from a 13 level spinal fusion, I'm not sure what the levels are called but I'm fused from my thoracic spine to my lumbar spine. I had a condition called shuremanns kyphosis and I had a 90 degree curve in my spine. Everything went well the doctor although I do have a bit of nerve damage in my thighs and my right tricep, more sensory type damage burning pins and needles, I do feel like it's getting better though as the days go by and getting more feeling back from month to month. I'm still on narcotics percocet and oxycontin, though I have weaned off quite a bit from the beginning but still need them for pain. Now that you have a little background on my situation I was wondering if you could help me with any strategies on how to get in and out of a car. I was told to sit sideways on the seat and then swivel my legs in, but the problem is I'm 6ft 3 in and my head doesn't clear the roof of the car. Does anyone know anyother way to do this? Also I find it impossible to put on socks as well, any advice on that? Thanks in advance!
You only live once

• charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 11/12/2012 - 11:23 AM
    They have sock assists available at many hosptial drugstores or place where you buy medical supplies don't remember exact name. Also your Dr. can refer you to a OT(Occupational Therapist) to show how you can do things because of your height and what things you need to help with your scoliosis. A PT may be helpful also. Maybe using a plastic bag on your car seat can help you slide in easier? . Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Shell2ySShell2y Posts: 80
    edited 11/13/2012 - 11:28 PM
    A lot of the posts on the back & neck surgery forum suggest using something slippery on the car seat to help getting in & out - eg a satin or silk sheet or piece of material, some suggest very large garden garbage bags or sheets of builders plastic, some people use the slippery nylon sleeping bags. I haven't used anything as I have been ok just using the car equivalent of the log roll - sitting in the car sideways using the hand grab to take my weight then lifting both feet together and swivelling towards the front ( hence the slippery material to aid the swivelling motion). Good luck with your recovery.
  • Thanks for the advice I bought a sock aid from amazon and now I can put them on with ease so thank you for that I didn't even know they made those. As for the car I tried the plastic bag thing but still can't clear my head due to my height:( gues I will have to invest in a convertible lol
    You only live once
  • Although I'm not 6'3", I found the same thing happening getting into the car. I don't swivel because I found my self twisting more that way. I just go in sideways. I've found that our backseats have waaay more headroom getting in because they don't taper like the front. So maybe try that if you're not driving.
    1989 T5-T11 Fusion with Harrington rods for Scheuermann's Kyphosis
    October 2012 T1-L2 Revision fusion for hardware dislodging, bone spurs and degenerative discs above and below
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 11/20/2012 - 11:16 AM
    i would thing twice about putting a low resistance covering on a car seat especially if you are the driver .WHY ?? because should you be involved in a MVA you will submarine under the seat and the car seat belts and air bag wont do there job properly .{i have a friend in the police force and she advised me against this as she has seen first hand what can happen } she told me that the elderly/and infirm tend to put things under there seats like cushions and plastic bags ..they can prove lethal in an accident ..you can buy a proper device that lets you rotate through 120% so you can get out of your car safety and comfortably if you have the money you can have your drivers seat altered to electrically turn and come out of the vehicle then you sit on it ..press a button and if will place you behind the wheel ..very clever ! but cost around 1500 pounds
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014