Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This is a weird one...

I've read through several forums and not found anything on this, so here goes:

I herniated my L4/L5 disc about 8 years ago when I was in high school. I've had progressing pain over the last three years and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis this past August. I had an epidural steroid shot in mid-October. When Hurricane Sandy came through the East Coast at the end of October (the only explanation; I quite literally laid on my couch as this happened), the barometric pressure dropped to the point that my disc bulged out further into my spinal nerves. I experienced total numbness in my left leg, from my hip down to my toes.

I had a microdiscectomy to remove the bulging part of my L4/L5 disc. I regained feeling immediately down to just below my knee. Over the next two weeks, I have regained most feeling down to my ankle.

This is the funky part. I have almost no feeling in my outside left part of my foot, which would indicate S1 damage. While the surgical team who operated on me seemed to be entirely incompetent (separate issue), I'm worried that either they missed that my S1 was initially damaged on my MRI (they initially told me that there was no additional damage to my L4/L5 when there was significant new damage) or that they damaged it while entering/exiting my surgical site.

My question is: Has anyone else had anything like this happen in a normal operation? Any other new symptoms not experienced before or that don't follow with the initial injury? My doctors are claiming to be worried about MS or a blood clot now, but my symptoms follow exactly with S1 damage. I have drop foot. I can't stand on my tip-toes. I have pins and needles through most of my foot, but especially along the outside/posterior part of my foot and my middle, fourth, and pinky toes.

I'm having an EMG and a follow up MRI this week. Hopefully it will show something, but I'm freaking out a bit at the moment with the mention of MS :-/ If anyone else had something like this happen, it would be awesome if you have any insight other than get a new surgeon. Working on it :)

I am not in PT (they wanted to wait until my back healed, which doesn't seem to follow with what some have said). And all they said when I brought up nerve damage was "You aren't progressing as we anticipated." After reading what others have said here, I feel like they either know nothing about nerve damage or are covering their asses. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks a ton and I hope everyone enjoys the holidays this week :)

• You are welcome to read the many posts on this topic here. You had numbness down to your toes at end of Oct. Since then the surgery has relieved the nerve compression and this numbness has reduced quite rapidly so far. Often it takes weeks or months to recover full feeling. Sometimes people re-herniate straight away after surgery.

It's been more than 4 mths for me and its not fully recovered. So hang in there. This is one of the risks we signed up for.

Welcome to SH.