Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another newb

New to the site.

I went through L4-S1 fusion in 1999. Was a paratrooper for 10 years and had one to many jumps!

Have had good times and bad, had 7 years of relative pain free living after the surgery which had now changed to bi-weekly trigger point injections, quarterly Botox injections and daily pain meds.

It's nice to find a place to vent, where folks on the other end actually understand what you are feeling when you talk about the pain.

Thanks for having me

Fusion L4-S1, T8-T9 herniation.

• Just wanted to welcome you to spine health. This site is all of kinds of info and many different experiences of the forum members. A little about myself, I am 32 yrs old, and I have had five lumbar surgeries. Three just this year. I am fused L3-L5. I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. My neurosurgeon is going to discuss fusing L5-S1 at my next follow up appointment in January. I have a question for you. My current fusions do limit my flexibilty somewhat. How much flexibilty should I expect to lose after the fusion of L5-S1? Thanks.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • KeeperKKeeper Posts: 20
    edited 11/23/2012 - 1:57 AM
    Thats a tough one, I learned early on to flex at my hips. You will notice some loss, but since you are fused higher up already I am not sure you will notice much as I was told that "the l5-s1 does not move all that much"

As you loosen up the muscles in your legs and lower back things will move a bit easier.

I cannot imagine what you have been through, I thought I had a tough go wearing that brace for 9 months in the North Carolina summer, going through the same thing repeatedly would have really ....um irk'd me. (watching my language..lol)

Fusion L4-S1, T8-T9 herniation.