Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newly diagnosed with anterolisthesis of L5 over S1

Hello, community. A couple of weeks ago I went roller skating, and feeling more bold than I should, I had a blast. It was my kids' first time roller skating, so of course I was overly cautious of them, and yet, I'm the one who took the stumble that landed me in the ER. Such is life.

I had X-Rays and a CT done of my lumbar spine and pelvis and found that I have anterolisthesis, specifically L5 over S1. And suddenly, a whole lot of stuff started to make sense. I've been seeing a chiropractor for years. I've had random pains since I was 8. I was asked several times by the ER doc and my chiropractor if I was absolutely certain I'd never hurt myself in a way that would fracture that area of my body, but no, I haven't. Most likely, this is congenital.

I'm struggling. Before this diagnosis, I had the feeling that the pain might stop with enough adjustments. After all, it always did before. I could go months without seeing my chiropractor and be just fine. But every time I go on "hiatus", the time between treatment periods gets shorter. For the last year, I've had intermittent numbness in my toes. In addition, I've had the most horrific hip pain that comes and goes when I stand up. And now, since my fall, some days are good, others are Tramadol-worthy (today is one of those days).

I'm 32 years old. I have 2 elementary-school aged children. I'm in a nursing program. I feel like a lot of my world is crumbling around me. My prospects for getting a job in nursing are pretty much shot now, since anything away from bedside nursing requires experience. As it is, I can't even bring in a load of groceries without feeling it later.

I'm waiting to hear back from neurosurgeons local to me. Thankfully, I also live somewhat near a top-rated neurosurgery department, so I'm going to get an opinion from them as well. I'm here because I want support for the chronic pain. I'd also like to hear about success or lack thereof of fusions. I'd love to hear about quality of life after fusion. I'd also like to learn a bit about the different approaches in surgical options. I'm reading a lot of conflicting information about the benefits to surgical approaches (posterior vs. anterior, vs. both, and the usage of grafts, etc.).

Anyway, I'm just hear to lean on you and learn from personal experiences. Thanks for having me.

• Question-- are members restricted from beginning threads in forums that are about conditions not related to theirs? I tried to start a thread in spinal stenosis, but it kept telling me to log in even though I did. I was able to start a thread in the other conditions one without incident.
  • The vast majority of fusions are successful but a number aren't. You are welcome to read the posts here, there's many good and some bad.

So far my l5/s1 fusion is going great, 4 mths.