I am a tall, young, bookish fellow about to finish my PhD in an awesome field. I was always bad at sports, but better than most nerds, so have been able to enjoy playing frisbee, basketball, yoga, tennis and hockey until recently.
Unfortunately, I have a pain point in between my shoulder blades that has been getting worse for 10y; a disk which "pops", and on Wednesday I think it just completely gave up. I don't hear a lot in most forums that matches my experience, as I haven't yet had surgery and my deterioration has been drawn out. I'll try not to wear everyone down with my story, but I would really appreciate some seasoned advice, because my family and doctors haven't been much help. I will probably also post my MRI report... the doctor hardly even wanted me to see it.
Here are some issues I am facing:
1) How much longer should I try to work stressful jobs?
2) How many years can you live on NSAIDs, Tylenol, etc? I am about ~6/10 pain, 2x celebrex + 1 Tylenol8 / day
3) University Health system not really helpful with this major illness; bounced from doctor to doctor; yet feel shame for demanding more be done.
4) Could there be something else causing inflammation?
5) Does anyone use a Health Advocate? How can I make sure I'm not just too depressed (or busy!!) to heal myself?
Anyways, hope everyone had a restful Thanksgiving!