Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T8/9 Posteior fusion a success! 5 months out

Hi All! I have been a long-time lurker on this site but just joined today. On 6/6 of this year I had a T8/9 posterior fusion without discectomy (per my request) and while it certainly hasn’t been an easy recovery as so many of you know, I am happy to say the surgery has far exceeded my expectations!

Prior to surgery I had this terrible wrap-around pain that was so debilitating that I was in bed 23hrs of the day and limping noticeably. Woke up from surgery and the nerve pain was gone and has never come back! While the pain is still horrific on some days, I get a peek of low pain in that area which I haven’t experienced in almost 10 years now. I have been getting stronger too and I do not need as much assistance from a cane or my service dog when walking. Am I ready to start working again? Mentally, heck yes! But physically not even close. ...but this is at least a vast improvement!

I just really wanted to write a good post and share some happy news, and I knew you guys would understand how it feels to finally have something positive to share. Yes, things aren’t drastically better pain and disability wise, but my quality of life is better and that is the important part, right?
"When I planted my pain in the field of patience, it bore the fruit of happiness" -Khalil Gibran

• Great to hear the good news. keep in mind it is a long time healing, so if you have come this far, just think how much better you will be. But keep up the good work. It is always good to have positive post. By the way welcome to spine-health.
  • wow, that's just fantastic! Cheers and best wishes in a continued positive recovery story!
  • It sounds like, for 5 months out from thoracic spine surgery, you are doing very well.
    There is still plenty of time for even more improvement.

Thoracic surgery is the hardest to recover from, so well done!
    I have some thoracic problems, but my surgeon has said that he is not suggesting surgery because it is so long and painful to recover from. He says we can try injections to see if that will help. I am getting the tightening around pain and also muscle spasms, particularly if I stretch up or twist. Luckily they don't last long, so I am coping at the moment.

I am just recovering from a 2 level neck fusion and had a lumbar fusion 2 and 1/2 years ago. I think I have had my share of spinal surgery, so am not in a hurry to have any more!

There is a section here for thoracic spine problems. If you make a post there you will meet other thoracic sufferers and some who are in the process of recoverying from thoracic surgery, as well as those who are possibly facing thoracic surgery. Thanks for coming to tell us all an encouraging story.

I wish you continued healing and a successful surgery that will get you back to an active life.
    Take care, :-)
  • Great to hear some positive news after thorcic surgery! Thank you for sharing, I sure needed to hear this tonight. I'm 19 days post op.
  • Great site. A lot of useful information here.