Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had surgery on there Thorcic spine? I have several issues in my T7 T8. I have had 3 mri's that show these. I have had epidural injections, and many other injections that I don't even remember because this is been going on for 5 years. I am currently taking hydrocodone 10/325 4 times a day. I have been up to taking Opana but they took me off all pain meds for a month so I could start back on the hydro's. Do they go through the chest to operate on bulging discs in the T spine?

• paulayonoppaulayono Posts: 57
    edited 11/29/2012 - 5:17 AM
    Hi Allie2013

I had a microdisectomy on T6-T7 on Nov. 6th so I'm just 3 weeks post op. mine was done through the side accessing the disc from the front. My incision is 2 3/4 inches long and I have a tiny scar where the chest tube was. The surgery took 3 hours. They had to collapse my lung to access the disc. My disc was a large central herniation putting moderate pressure on my spinal cord. I didn't wait on this due to the concern of it getting worse. The recovery has not been easy but it's tolerable. I was prepared for a long recovery. Hope this helps. There are others that have had this surgery on here and as rare as everyone says it is more and more keep popping up with issues in the t-spine.

Best wishes,
  • Mine are disc bulges along with a narrowing of the spinal cord. I have had every injection there is and none of helped.. I had always heard they had to open your chest but I guess if they could do it from the side that wouldn't be so scary.
    It took quite awhile for the doctors to believe that my T spine could possibly hurt. Having an operation is looking more and more likely. Keep me posted on your progress.

• Hi Allie, I had a microdiscectomy on T7-8 in Feb. of this year. They went in through my back. It started as chest pain and had complete cardiac workup which was all normal but after heart cath I started experiencing horrible back pain and had x-rays, MRI, CT-scan and then surgery. I did try several spidural injections which did not work. I hope you find the answers and please keep in touch with me.

• Hi Allie

From what I understand bulges usually heal. Are you experiencing any weakness in your legs, off balance, or bladder dysfunction? Those are signs of spinal cord dysfunction and usually when they want to consider surgery. I wouldn't do unless there was risk to the cord and symptoms of it. It is a painful surgery and long recovery but also I would never risk my legs and not do the surgery, just have to make sure you know it is necessary and have a good qualified surgeon. My disc was not calcified which probably made the surgery a bit easier than when it is. I read when the herniation is large they tend to like to go in from the side and access from the front of the disc. My surgeon was considering going in from the back but ultimately went with this approach to make sure he could get the whole disc out.

Wishing You the best