Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg cramps post fusion

Hi. I had a second spinal fusion in June, I was fused from L5/S1 in 2008 and then after developing spondiolythesis I had my fusion redone up to L3 in June this year. Ever since I have had awful leg cramps, at night and during the day, I've had to stop my swimming due to cramps, and I have been on Diazepham, which helped but cannot be on that long term so now on Baclofen, and so far it has not helped. I would line some feedback. I have my 6 month check up in two weeks, this is a bit beyond my GP' s area of knowledge.
I've seen on here that I am not alone. Any ideas? Please.

• Hi. I am still recovering from PLIF L5L4, but leg ache and cramps are one of the most painful things I have had, right from when I opened my eyes. Having other problems as well, and I don't have any answers yet, but things I have found at least helpful include still sleeping with pillows under or between my legs to keep my hips and spine in better position, keeping them raised whenever I can, massages and heat packs ( to encourage better circulation to them) . I have also been told to try to increase my potassium intake so I eat lots of bananas, and because I haven't had a blood test since hospital in September will also be having my iron and other levels tested this week. Good luck and if I hear anything I will come back to you, and it would be great to know what you are told as well.
  • Im 3 months post op spinal fusion t2 to L1 and I have leg cramps at night. Albeit I walk around 2 miles a day before they start cramping. I also have leg cramps in the morning if I go a little further on than 2 miles the previous day. I asked my surgeon about and he said it sounded normal as long as I didn't have soreness in the calfs which I don't. What helps me is stretching my legs while lying in supine position up to my chest as far as I can and then extending and flex thigh muscles. Then I take a hot shower which helps them feel better also. I also take diazepam before I sleep. Hope they go away soon for you and hope the 6 month check up goes well.
    You only live once