Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I want to say Hello to everyone!!! I am a newbie here :)

I was born Chiari II Malformation/Spinal Bifida

I have had a previous fusion of C-3 through C-6. Now, I have to have this ACDF of C-6 and C-7. My vocal is very hoarse and I have a very bad cough and this has lasted for abit over a year now. Will all this correct itself after this is done?? Will the swelling in my neck go away? I have numbness all over so I am use to it.Pain?? What is that?? You are born with it and when they correct something you feel awesome and want to run and jump for joy!!! I remember my first fusion I was back at my part-time job in 8 days and in class in 10 days. Yea!! I felt like a Queen on a mountain top :) Only now, I want to sleep my life away. I am uncomfortable when I breathe, my mid section (stomach) and lower section (lower back) are uncomfortable as well. I will be a titanium juckie when this is all done some day :) lol lol lol

I don't really ask questions because it scares me and I feel the least I know the better off I am and I will heal better, but I just want to know if the ACDF is worse than the fusion I had before?? I did not ask questions on my brain surgeries and I did great and I really did not know much about my previous fusion. I know crazy....Any imput will be welcome :) Thanks

Alexis Schrader

• First, welcome to Spine Health! :H :-H :wave:

Everyone is different in how much they want to know about their condition. I personally like to know all about it, because my imagination can make things seem more scarey than they actually are.

I would imagine that if you have already had a cervical (neck) fusion from C3 to C6, then just having a single level of C6/7 should be an easier surgery. Was your original surgery also done from the front, or from the back? Surgery from the front is generally easier to recover from that a posterior fusion.

It sounds like you made an excellent recovery before, and went back to work very quickly.
    If you don't ask questions of your surgeon, then he probably realises that you don't want to know the details and will not tell you about them. Perhaps you could write a list of the questions that you do want the answers to and ask him those.

I am nearly 4 weeks out from a C3/4/5 ACDF and feel that my recovery is going pretty well. My pain levels are fairly low most of the time although I am having some swallowing issues. Did you have that with your first cervical fusion?

Do you have a date for your surgery yet?
    You will find lots of friendly people here who will willingly share their experiences. :-)