Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C3-C6 set for 12-3-12

ACDF C3-C6 set for 12-3-12
ACDF surgery upcoming in 4 weeks here in Palm Harbor FL. Kinda nervous about recovery and returning to prior activity level. My neurosurgeon says I will have 15% loss of forward head mobility and good risk for adjacent joints to deteriorate in future. I love to golf and downhill ski and hope I won't be restricted from these recreational activities after fusion takes place.
3 level fusion is serious business and I know its necessary to prevent further myelopathy...Symptoms are right arm radiculopathy and back neck and mid-upper back pain on a scale of about 6.
Any recovering patients lose their abilities to return to non-contact sports/recreation. If so, what and how do you feel about it?
Nuff for now. Awaiting some replies,
ps: thinking of getting a hospital bed for home for the first couple of weeks, what do you say to this??

• I had my C3/4 and C4/5 fused with plates and screws about 35 days ago. It is one less level than yours, so I don't know what that will be like. I purchased a recliner (which you can rent, too), but if you think a hospital bed will be better for you, than go for it.

I slept in the recliner for about a week, the sofa for about a week and then I moved a sofa cushion into my bed against the headboard with two sleeping pillows against it and that is how I have been sleeping for the past 30+ days or so.

Are you wearing a collar at all?

Honestly, the biggest things that I found important were things like making sure I had a shower head that slid up and down a wall mounted rod. I already had that, fortunately and because I could not get my head/neck/throat wet for a week, it was really helpful, for that first week and longer.

I lost my voice for more than a month, so while I was in no pain, being able to text and email was really helpful. I didn't want to zone out in front of the tv all of the time, so I play(ed) Words with Friends and Scramble and other games that keep my mind engaged and sharp.

I have said this in other posts on here - one thing I would recommend - I went to Amazon and downloaded pre and post surgery guided imagery audio recording for $9. I started listening to that a few nights before surgery, placed it on my smart phone and brought that and ear buds to the hospital with me. I listened to it immediately after returning from recovery and whether it is true what they say about guided imagery or not - I had no pain at all and was off morphine after the first day. I never experienced pain - and if it is because of the guided imagery, GREAT! If not, GREAT! (feel free to let me know if you are interested in it. I still listen to the post-surgery audio when I wake up at 2 or 3am and think I cannot get back to sleep. I turn this on and I am out like a light.

Any pain I felt was from muscle stress at the base of my neck and one of those microwaveable heating pads that wrap around your shoulders continues to be really helpful.

I was told I would have a the 'sore throat from hell' and I never had one. But, I did have Chloroseptic Max ready, along with throat lozenges, just in case.

Oh yes - swallowing - MOIST FOODS! I had trouble swallowing for a few weeks - and occasionally even now, as I still wear this collar and recover. Applesauce (to take any meds), little bottles of water, just because they are easier to control that glasses of water. I could not and still cannot easily eat crackers or breads - they would turn into lumps in my throat. Soups, eggs, yogurt - things that slide down and take little effort going down.

Since you are active, you may want to ask your surgeon if s/he has any objection to you stretching your lower body. I didn't ask, but I am doing it. Nothing dramatic - but holding onto the railing on my deck and stretching my calves and asking if you can raise your hands above your head or bend over - stretching has been REALLY important. I keep my neck still and don't push it, but otherwise, I feel like I am walking like an old lady!

Feel free to read my post, if you think it would be helpful. I've catalogued the things I did pre-and post, so maybe you will find something helpful.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted! :)
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • I'm confused. When is the surgery? You give tomorrows date but say it is in 4 weeks. Do you mean january 3rd. If so, you may want to also post on the January surgery buddies thread.

It is very scary stuff! I am having 4 level on Jan 3rd in Tampa. I will be glad when it gets here as I am very anxious as well.
    4 level ACDF completed on January 3rd.
    I developed an infection which required reopening the wound on January17th
    Looking forward to life without as much pain!
  • Hi there, Pagosa -

Just checking to see if you made any decisions about the hospital bed?
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 12/02/2012 - 2:56 PM
    I don't want to speak for Pagosa, but it appears he is going in for surgery tomorrow based on an email to me having had pre-op blood work done the other day, so we may not hear from him before he returns.

He'll correct me if I am wrong. :)
  • No hospital bed; a new electric recliner
    Swollen throat but can swallow without pain
    No new pains and better balance standing on one leg at a time
    Taking Tylenol 3 every six hours and Flexeril twice a day
    Walked an hour yesterday and already 40 mins today
    Have f-up nursing care 3xs per week but really not necessary
    PT came for eval and noted not needed in my case
    Dr has protocol for exercises based on timeline/recovery
    FUP Dr appt next Wed or Thurs
    Wearing Miami collar 24/7 for at least 6 weeks
    Wound dressing removed as incision was glued; no discharge or infection
    Have shower neck brace and have used, quite useful!
    Dr gave me copy of post-op xray, way cool
  • Hi there, Pagosa --

Sounds like things are going well, all things considered.
    So glad that you are seeing some improvement already!
    I am not sure what the shower neckbrace is - I simply wore my Miami J collar while showering and changed out of the blue pads to let them dry each time.

I will admit that I am still supposed to be wearing the collar when I shower, but I stopped wearing it about 3 weeks into it. My neck was more stable and my shower is not in a tub, so I am not so concerned about slipping. When I turn to move, I always hold the shower door or wall for balance, but that level of freedom for about 30 minutes or so helps A LOT.

I sit here typing in my lovely Miami J collar, too. I am now at my 6th week of wearing it. UGH. I go on Tuesday to get an update. He told me initially I will be wearing it for 3 months, so we will see if he still wants that when I go see him.

I am soooo happy to hear that you are doing well!
    I will get a copy of my x-ray when they take one on Tuesday. I will update my picture/x-ray here with the new one with the hardware then. :)

Keep us posted!