Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS - where can't you go?

I've very recently had the full implant, and so far so good.

The hospital told me that I wouldn't be able to go through airport security arches any more, and that I'd be given a card to cover me for that and any similar situations. They also told me no more MRIs.

I haven't got a date yet for my first follow-up appointment post-op, and the staff at the hospital are very bad at calling back when messages are left, so I'm asking the question here - are there any other 'no go' situations?

What about X-rays?

What about the security posts that some stores have, to detect shoplifters?

Is there anything else that anyone knows about that I should know?

Thanks to all who can help!

• Just fill up your shoping cart and you hand them your scs card and you dont have to pay, When i steal everything from the store and the alarm goes off i just say its my scs unit , Here is my scs credit card,

They said you have to charge up the unit so i did,

You just show them the card at security at airport/ court house security/ they will just strip search you which is the best part i think, lol.

Its realy no big deal, I have 2 medical cards due to scs and artificial disc implant, you are correct no mri, I am not sure about the x ray,
    Many people have inplants of all sort so security is usualy prety good about it, I play it safe and turn it off when i might walk through a security even when they just use the hand held metal detector just in case so it dont screw up the programing by some chance,

Beter to be safe then sorry, Good luck hope the scs works out for you,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 12/09/2012 - 9:56 PM
    Hows the SCS doing for you so far? What brand did you get?
    I have a medtronics and I was told to stay away from the airport metal dectors and have a hand search. I showed my card and they all said what that as we don't except them. On TSA website they tell the employees to disregard the cards as anyone could make them. In Las Vegas the airport had a newer scanner they said was not X-ray or metal dector. I went through it with no problem. Another member here says she has no problems going through a metal detectors at airports. I did see where some claim if you turn it off and move through the detector quick you will be OK. My rep and my two doctors told me not to go through a metal detector at all. In addition I was told not to allow a hand held wand to be used near my unit six inches away is OK but closer they claim the unit might dump the programs. Depending on your manufactor you may have to stay away from arc welders also. In my trail I was taking a welding class and after my implant I finished the class but was carefully to have it off and not to be between the welding leads as that can cause a electromagnetic field like a metal detector. So how lucky do you feel? LOL
    The only problem I have had was leaving a large retail electronics store on Christmas Eve one year. Going past there theft detectors at the door I was pushed to the side close to a detector and my settings went way up so always carry your remote.

No MRIs is the general rule but some of the units will allow a brain MRI on certain MRI units. I had a stroke last year and they just did CTs which worked really well. I had to have two full spine CT mylegrams with contrast and they were better then the MRIs that I had had. The pictures were very clear and showed a few things the MRI didn't.
    Read your manual they may have a depth limit on scuba also.
    You may never have any problems its a what if type deal.

I hope yours is working for you
  • i have the medtronic unit also , They have to accept the card as its a medical electronic devise no diferent if a person has a pace maker and i would of raised hell at your airport about if they refuse to accept it !
    They have to accept it and all they can do is tap you down as any medical device they cant force you to walk through the metal detector when they cant be sure what damage and harm it may cause a person,

I flew international to Europe and international is much higher security then state to state and this was even before my scs implant, The medical card even for the ADR implanted was enough where i did not have to walk through there machine,
    Even going international they never asked to strip search just a simple tap down,
    You said you had this hapen in Vegas ?

Well what hapens in vegas can stay in vegas but no way i will allow some idiot at any security point to scew up either the program in the scs or take a chance having the device shock me to death !
    Its bad enough having to have a scs implanted for pain control and nobody out there is going to force me to risk my life having something go wrong because of there neglect and stupidity ,

Worse thing they can do is strip search you if they refuse to accept the card, And if it came down to that be it,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 12/11/2012 - 11:56 PM
    This has to be short and I can go into better info later.
    TSA was great with no problems, they said I did not need the card and that even the TSA website cards were not needed. They told me to just tell them I have a implant and needed a hand pat down which did not take very long at all. In Vegas they had a new scanner that according to the TSA sup. At the site told me all implants could go through this scanner as it was not X-ray or metal detector. They gave me the choice of the safe body scan or a pat down
    He also stated this was something like a back scatter microwave that would not be a issue. It only reads items on the out side of the body I did it with no problems and was faster then a hand pat down.
    Traveling was in no way a issue. I used Long Beach, Oakland, Ontario and Vegas.

The worst place I went was to a county records building and had to wait for a pat down by a deputy that they had to call down. I went to a family court house and it was hard to get in and I had to just go to jury duty and they check for everything I got off of jury duty because of the meds I had with me.

Sorry no strip search.
    I had to go back and make sure Indidnt break any Vegas rules on that one but it all stayed there except the back pain from tipping the dealer to far.

Just to repeat the tsa said they did not need the card but just have the person say They have a implant.
    Last thought. Have you noticed they have moved or replaced most X-ray scanners Columbia university did a study and they were giving off way to much radiation as most were set up wrong. I was told by my doctors that X-ray scanner was OK but for me not to use them. I have had to many ct scans in the last two years and need to avoid X-ray.