Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection

For the last two weeks, I have been dealing with a herniated disc. My doctor has recommended an Epidural Steroid Injection. I am not in alot of pain. My main problem is the tingling, partial numbness and weakness in my left leg. I am wondering is anyone knows that doing just physical theraphy first would help this problem to go away or if the injection is the only way?
A Liebs
advertisement

Comments

• With me PT only made my problems worse.
    Epidural injection I had a week ago does not seem to help me.
    How did you injure your back?

-Dave
    -Dave
    L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • I am not sure what I did to injure it. I had been doing yard work and house cleaning. That evening it just started hurting and next thing I know, pain was shooting down my left leg and I couldn't put any weight on my left leg. Had a MRI done and it showed L2/3 slight disc bulge, L4/5 diffuse disc bulge and annular tear. I have never had an epidural injection before and reading about some of the risk, I didn't want to get the injection if PT could take care of problem.

Anita
    A Liebs
  • My Dr. sent me for Physiotherapy and aquatherapy with a PT also before I had any injections. I didn't get much relief from injections but had a few days with about 40% relief but nothing lasting for me. My Dr. sent me to see a Neurologist after PT didn't help me much as was concerned about the weakness and numbness in the leg so sometimes Dr. may send you to a Neurologist to address the numbness before any PT. Maybe clarify it with your Family Dr. first. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    edited 12/06/2012 - 6:25 AM
    The spinal column and associated problems can get very complicated.

In most situations, doctors have a multi-facet 'attack' on how to address the problem. That could include
    • Physical Therapy
    • Aqua Therapy
    • ESI - Spinal Injections
    • Tens Unit
    • Traction
    • Acupuncture
    • Massage Therapy
    Depending on the patient, one, some or all of these conservative treatments should be exercised to see if the problem could get corrected. In sime scenarios, it may take several goes at each of those treatments before any result is seen.

I think the best approach and the approach many doctor take is this route first. Only after all of those are completely exhausted, would the aggressive treatment surgery come into play. But everyone is different, every situation is different , doctors can vary. There would be times when surgery would come into play much sooner.

Take a look under the heading Treatment Many different types of treatments are explained in detail along with some good videos.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement