Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone ever heard of a scarred nerve?

So I saw my surgeon again today, I've had 3 previous surgeries at L4/L5/S1 and have another scheduled in a week. Anyway he said that there is a good chance that the nerve is scarred, not that there is scar tissue encasing the nerve but that the nerve itself is scarred. On my last myleogram with contrast is when he noticed it. He said that if this is the case that besides pain management there is no treatment and that I would have to live with the sciatica which at this time is the worse it's ever been I'm having trouble even putting weight on my left foot. Just curious if anyone else was or is in the same boat. Thanks.

Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• I've not heard of a scarred nerve but I suppose it makes sense.
    I didn't realize they could 'see' that on a test.
    I know I have damaged nerves but it's obvious b/c of lost sensation and loss of some movement in my toes.

Perhaps he means the nerve damage/scarring is what is causing your pain. Nerve blockers can tell the brain to stop sending the pain signals in this case but there are side effects. You say you can't put weight on your foot. Any chance as a part of Pain management, he is recommending you go to a physiatrist/physio to see if there is any help they can be?

I would get a 2nd opinion too to see what the options are.
  • It's not what they saw, it's what they didn't see. When I went to my appointment the Dr called me out of the office and took me to a different office where he and another nuero were reviewing all my images from the previous year. On my myleo with contrast the nerve is supposed to absorb the contrast, and they all did except the one that I experience pain in.Also on the MRI you can't see that nerve something is obstructing it. I had a laminectomy done 2 months ago in that area so we know it's not scar tissue, and I do have 2 broad based protrusions but not in that area.

I've done pain management for this, I've actually had 3 previous surgeries in this area alone, steroid injections, medial branch nerve block, traction, pool therapy, anti inflam's, oral steroids, pain meds..etc.....He said more than likely a spinal cord stimulator would probably be next on the list. I do have disc issues and previous discectomies, so I spoke with them about fusion/ADR, they said it was somewhere down the road but it wouldn't help with the sciatica and I wasn't at that point yet.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• I have same issue after ADR surgery l4l5 and later was fused same level as dr said nerve is slightly damaged where ADR was inserted, There is no cure for this nerve damage and yep its a living hell dealing with it for years now,

Nerve acts up puting pressure on left leg makes it flare up and get worse and worse with each step, The fusion was only to stop the movement to see if nerve might have a chance to heal ! Fusion was a dumb move, nerve never healed,

I had scs implanted after 3 trials i finaly give in to it but scs dont help either, If anything the scs at times pisses off the nerve even more, I am sure there is conditions scs works on but this is not 1 of them and they can tell people all they want the scs helps, But only the person that has it and feels it knows if its helping or not !

Lets face it , Nerve damage is everyones worse fear going in to surgery , Its everyones worse fear for a good reason , There is no cure and no easy way to control it, If you cant handle the side affects of the nerve meds like me, You are screwed,

So welcome to my nightmare !
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,