Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica Exercises - How They Can Help Ease Sciatica Pain

MandyBlakeMMandyBlake Posts: 2
Hi everyone,
I know a lot of people seems to just ignore exercises and opt for medications and such for sciatica pain but exercises are extremely important.

You may well be aware of the physical therapy exercises your doctor may have suggested. In fact, these form the core component of the entire treatment strategy. Exercises in the plan popularly include stretching, strengthening and also aerobic conditioning. Research has suggested that patients who engage themselves in a regular exercise schedule are more likely to recover from sciatica relatively quickly as opposed to those who do not. Additionally, undergoing daily exercises also reduces the possibility of future occurrence of the ailment.

There are three main aspects that sciatica exercises target, and these are – strengthening, stretching and aerobic exercises.

Strength – These exercises mainly aim at supporting muscles, tendons and ligaments, while also incorporating strength to the spinal column. Moreover, a large number of these exercises do not just focus on the development of the lower back, but they also take into account the health of your hip and abdominal muscles, and buttocks. Regular practicing of these exercises promotes pain relief because they eventually keep the spine supported and also help in its proper alignment.
Stretching – Health experts usually recommend stretching for sciatic pain relief. The main aim of these exercises is to target muscles that are inflexible and tight, and make them flexible. Hamstring stretching is one such very popular exercise that almost all physical therapists recommend in these conditions.
Aerobic exercises – Aerobic activity is known to promote healing, mainly because it involves exchange of nutrients and fluid within our body. Even some low impact cardiovascular exercises such as swimming or walking are very beneficial. Aerobic exercises are also responsible for triggering the release of endorphins, a natural painkiller produced by the body, thus helping reduce sciatica pain.

The sciatica exercise that your doctor may recommend to you largely depends on the factors responsible for causing the ailment. In addition to this, the level of pain and overall condition of your body will also be taken into account when your doctor suggests you the exercises.

Relapse is an important factor that any sciatica patient should keep in mind. When the pain becomes unbearable, it is only natural for a patient to quit exercising for a day or two. However, the patient must not make it a prolonged rest, since discontinuation of these exercises will promote pain and cause deconditioning. Regular exercises are essential for your body to keep producing natural nutrients for healing purposes.

So, exercise people!

Post edited, to remove URL not previously approved. Please also note that will Exercise is probably good for everyone, DO NOT attempt any type of exercise program until you discuss it with your doctor and that it is approved
What I learn about sciatica and ways to obtain relief:

• You saved my life ,! Without your post i would have never thought about exercise , I just sat on my fat ass my whole life eating crackers with cheese and pizza until my ass would not fit through a barn door ,

You made me see the light ! Now i go to yoga , I dont do yoga i just watch the woman do yoga while i eat pizza ,
    I think i have a crush on the yoga instructor, When my sciatica acts up i know i am in love ,

I tried doing a push up to impress her, Paramedics came and had to save me, They had to do mouth to mouth, Paramedic was a dude , Does this now mean i am gay ? He did have soft lips,
    Did i blow my chances now with the yoga instructor ?

Will it be in my medical report that i was kissed by a dude ?

Ok i had to put something meaninfull in this thread cause excercise is nothing we are not aware of and nothing we aint tried or done for years before a serious injury occured so we may be injured but we aint brain dead ,
    If you are healthy enough and are able to work out and be all you can be go for it ,
    Its always someone without a serious injury pushing this excercise as if they found a cure for cancer !

Most of us were made aware of excercise being important from back in grade school , And guess what, Even people in best shape they ever been in there life end up here once disc goes out or many other injury to the spine hapens,

The bigest and the badest hard asses stop in there track soon as back goes out ! Been there, seen it , done that !

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,