Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

switching from fentanyl to MSContin - anyone else done it?

I'm currently on 25mcg fentanyl patch to switch out every 72 hours. I notice on the last day I have breakthrough pain. My GP is switching me from the patches to MSContin. We haven't talked about dosages yet, but I have a lot of anxiety etc issues as well so for my brain I need to start the change off slowly and start on 60mg and then decrease 10mg per month while she throws lyrica into the mix to see if it helps. I am not sure if she will agree to the 60mg start base but I think I can plead my case as she knows about all my MH issues.

Anyway, Has anyone switched from fentynal to MSContin to be weened down/off? How did the switch go? Mine is taking place smack bang in the middle of needing to help dad recover from knee surgery (I'll have to cook, look after the house etc) and I don't want to be sick or out of it too much while my body adjusts. I'm hoping because it's from the same/similar group of meds the transition will be smooth but would love to hear from anybody who has been in a similar position.

L3/4 - disc bulge
L4/5 - dis herniation encroaching spinal theca & L5 nerve root in canal
Lf/S1- Posterior osteophyte lipping between vertebral bodies. Disc herniation encroaching spinal theca & L5 root nerve
**full description in my info**

• terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 12/18/2012 - 5:57 AM
    at first with my first fusion, i was on fenatyl patch 100 micrograms. then i went to oxy -4o mg and i used fenatyl lollipops for breakthrough pain. the oxy works best for me especially with the lollipops. i have had the fenatyl in the pump that they use after surgery because with morphine, i had nightmares. fenatyl is not as bad but occasionally i have weird dreams. i never have dreams with the hooter girls on the beach, usually i dream of insects, worms, cats attacking me, really weird dreams. i don't know why there are no pleasant dreams with these meds, just weird bad ones.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • A Doctor told me that dreams reflect mostly our anxieties. I guess
    I read before bed and then try to have pleasant thoughts (imaginings) while drifting off to sleep. But recently I've been waking up to nightmares in the last few our of my sleep period, 4 or 5 am, then I cannot get to sleep and that screws most of my day.
    This getting old is for the birds.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • I don't know in MSCotin and Oxycotin are similar or the same. My skin couldn't stand the fentanyl patches anymore and I was on both drugs. The makers of Oxycotin had a conversion formulary which the pharmacist read and told my doctor. They then increased my Oxycotin to cover both meds. Overall, I think it does the same job. You can then have your doctor very slowly lower you off the MS Cotin as he sees fit. Good luck.