Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Out of surgery

Well, I'm out of surgery. The doc did a laminectomy at C2. I have four incisions. One for the battery (in my left rear), one in my neck, them two small puncture-like incisions where he fed the leads up.

Most of my pain is in my neck. My butt hurt a little afterwards, but the pain meds helped that.

Surgery was about 3 hours. I woke up from surgery while I was still in the operating room, I was done with surgery, of course, but I woke up that quick.

Well, meds are kicking in, so I'm having a lil trouble concentrating. Beddy bye time. :-)

I'll update as often as I can.

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 12/20/2012 - 11:34 AM
    So they put in a scs along with the surgery ? They must have if you have a battery in your butt,

Good luck in your recovery, And ye i had the scs put in also right side of my butt and it did hurt for a good while before it healed up , Very hard to sit anytime they implant it in the butt ! What they expect us to sit on ? Our face ?

Ok maybe that came out wrong !
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • They didn't wake you up during surgery to verify that you had the correct coverage?

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• MelWMMelW Posts: 427
    edited 12/20/2012 - 6:57 PM
    Alex - my surgery was for the perm implant SCS. I got a paddle, so he had to do a laminectomy to place it at C2.

Alex, you are too much! LMAO!!!! Sitting on our face..... Hmmm. Lol

Lol! Yes, my butt is a lil sore, but my neck hurts more than anything.

I tell ya, trying to sleep in a hospital is like trying to sleep at a concert. Ugh! I wanna sleep sp bad!! I just got a shot of Demerol, which has helped me nod off for a minute or two, then I'm awake again. I'm so ready to be home, in my bed, with my husband and family taking care of me!!!

Back - because I had a paddle, being more invasive, he doesn't wake his patients up in the middle of surgery. My Boston Scientific rep will be here around 8 a.m.ish to get me turned on and program. Then the doc is to stop by to check me out and give me scripts. As long as all looks good, then I an good to go home and will hopefully SLEEP!

I was expecting way more pain immediately following the surgery... Maybe it has to do with the anesthesia still being in me, but other than my neck hurting, my butt isn't too bad and the incisions in my thoracic area barely ache. Not that I am complaining, by any means! :-) I hope it's no worse then this, but I think it's wishful thinking on my part... As soon as the effects of all of see drugs wear off, I may be in for it.

Ok, sleepiness feels like it may be kicking in. Nighty night friends.

I'll post tomorrow and let y'all know how I'm feeling.

Take care

• I'm glad your surgery went well.
    I pray for a full recovery for you and hope the pain gets better as the days pass.

Keep us posted.

L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • So happy for you Mel that it is over and now you can start a new improved life:) May I ask why they put the scs in your butt? Isnt that uncomfortable even after it heals? Do you have a permanent lump back there? lol Lots of questions because if the RFA didn't work, which it didn't, they talked about the scs. Well I see my NS on Jan. 16 so Im sure will have plenty of questions if I decide on the scs. I am so happy for you:)

• You were able to get some sleep Mel. Congrats on being on the other side. I know you have waited a long time for this. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and hope that the scs gives you lots of pain relief. Look forward to your updates.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Mel I hope everything is going well. I hate staying in a hospital its impossible to sleep much if any so maybe getting home will help. Watch out for that train or truck going through the room. I swear on the second night a train ran me over and left me in pain. I think the pain comes in depending on how much muscle gets cut. It sounds like yours may be a small amount I hope so anyway.. well have a great Christmas and enjoy what you can.

• I feel like a truck ran me over, then a train came to finish the job. I hurt all over. The only things that do not hurt are my fingers and toes. It hurts to even take a deep breathe.

It's gonna be a rough couple of weeks.
  • I'm debating on calling to see if they can give me something else for pain... Prior to this surgery I was taking 25mcg fentanyl and 5/325mg Percocet. When I got my script when I was discharged, he put me on 7.5/325 mg Percocet every 8 hours. I'm struggling.

For one, its not covering the pain for eight hours, two it's just not working.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 12/22/2012 - 6:27 AM
    Mel about midnight my first night home the meds I was using did not cover the pain from surgery.
    I was on three norco 10s, three oxy 10s three tramadols plus SOMA three times ( per day )too before surgery and they felt it would work. Well it did not so I called the hospital and got the on call ortho. She cut my tramadol and oxy and said to use just the norco and SOMA. She increased the norco 10s to either one every two hours or two every four hours.
    The two every four hours worked for me. It took about five days of this before cutting down
    The doctor will make the choice for you but be sure to impress on how much worse the pain is. To this day my surgeon doesn't think this surgery is very hard on us. It was the worst of my five spine surgeries.

If you don't have a muscle relaxer ask about getting one it will help with the muscles that have been cut. As the muscle heals it will cause a few pain issues also.

Take care and good luck.
    PS the truck that hit me backed up over me again to see what he hit. LOL
  • Rick, I did call. Thank god. Man, I was hurting. I don't remember hurting this bad with my fusion. Incision in my cervical, thoracic, and butt... Whew!

Anyhow, she told me to go ahead and take 1 or 2 every 4-6 hrs, instead of every 8 hrs. I was feeling pretty rough by hour 5, so taking them every 4 hrs is going to help a lot more.

Alright, rest time.
  • It is crazy how much pain this can cause. I had plans to go to my class reunion the following day, no need to say I did not make it. About the first five days are the worst then it started cutting back.

Watch your pill counts as with the extra use you may need to get another script before one of the holidays.
    Remind the doc to show the increased doseage so they don't hit you with a 30 day supply hold. I hate the insurance company's with the 30 day Max.

Well I hope this increase helped you and maybe one day the docs will learn this is not as easy as they think

Get some rest
  • MelWMMelW Posts: 427
    edited 12/22/2012 - 10:56 PM
    Rick ~ My PM made a comment about how "simple this procedure is." My neuro, on the other hand, said its a very painful procedure, so at least he seems to understand. I'd like to see these docs get this done.... I bet they'd be singing a different tune.

Thanks for he reminder on the pill count. I need to do that today, so I don't run out. Talk about a nightmare! Whew, running out would be awful.

Anyone getting an SCS.... Stock up on ice packs!!! It's been said before that ice packs are your best friend, and they really are. When there's still that annoying edge to your pain, the ice packs really, really, really, really, help.

Also, so far, my worst incision, by far, has been my neck, where he did the laminectomy. The battery site, aka my butt, hasn't bothered me at all. Maybe it's waiting until I think the pain is over, then it'll kick in..... ;-)

The incisions he made in my thoracic area, to "splice" in extra lead, that hurts like hell! It feels like someone put a vise on my ribs... He must've really dug around in there.

Even with all of the pain, in the end, it'll be we'll worth it.

• I am glad the hard part is over, the scs is in and your on your way. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery not only to you but to your family too, obviously you've got the hard part but I know how pain effects the whole family. I've been thinking about you and adding you in my prayers. I hope your road continues on a positive path and I hope that you continue to post anything that gets in the road of your recovery. As you know, I am behind you with the surgery, no date yet becuase they were hoping for the 27th, but I have not gotten the offical word yet which makes me believe it's not happening now until next year. Keep your thoughts postitive and your pain in control (as much as possible). I'll let you know when my date is official.