Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Emergency? L5- S1 microdisectomy brown liquid on gauze

I had a L5- S1 microdisectomy yesterday morning. My wife discovered a brown liquid along the bottom of the incision gauze this evening after we got home a few hours ago. We called the surgeon emergency on call line and left a message. Does this sound like an emergency?
advertisement

Comments

• Its not iodine? They use a ton of iodine in surgery for sterilization and it turns a brown color when dry and is sticky.
  • It could be sero something or another fluid draining. Trust me from experience, it is better it drains then build up. I had my L5/S1 360 fusion 10/29/12 and my stupid front incision is still draining that brownish liquid and has been infected on and off. Make sure you check it at least daily to make sure there is no pus. I am so tired of dealing with it and my skin is so raw from the tape. I can't get in to see my surgeon til 01/07/13 so I am dealing with it best I can.

If it starts to hurt, get really red and puffy, or you get a fever go into the ER because you may have an infection. My 1st infection actually happened 5 weeks after the surgery and the second 8 weeks. Just keep watching it and let us know what happens.
    Jodi

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis