Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks after surgery

LeannalynnLLeannalynn Posts: 4
edited 12/27/2012 - 2:55 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello Everyone my name is Leanna I have been reading on the web and stumble upon this sight. I'm hoping I can find some answers and ask some Questions.. I just had back surgery 6 weeks ago on my lower back , I received paper work as to what was done and I just do not understand all of this Arthrodesis, posterior interbody: lumbar
Lumbar Laminectomy, Decompression, Posterior non-segmental instrumentation (eg, Harrington rod technique,pedicle fixation across one interspace, atlantoaxial transarticular screw fixation, sublaminar wiring at C1 facet screw fixation)
I'm now having terrible pain down the leg and between my ankles and my toes go numb......

I had been having trouble with pain in my Hips for 1 1/2 years and getting injections and medications that made the pain worse or didn't help at all when my family doctor finally decided to do hip xrays and they showed fine and then a lower MRI results come back and he sent me off for surgery, I was told I needed rods plates and bone graft rebuild one disc, my sciactic nerve was compressed.

• Here you will find many answers. For instance, in the FAQ in menu near the top of the screen, you will find a medical glossary that will explain a lot of those terms.

Also, by using the search function, also at top of the screen, you can search and find lots of answers to the words you put into there.

When you go back to the surgeon, please explain all of your symptoms to him / her. Request diagnostic tests to find out why you have this pain still.

It is generally not expected to still have pain still going down leg into ankles at 6 weeks. Check out;

Numbness is a common side effect of the surgery. Hopefully, it is reducing now and not getting worse. It should be slowly reducing. Takes quite a while some times.

The pain down the leg is nerve pain. This pain can be reduced / eliminated with nerve pain medication. There are a few common ones used. Lyrica works well with me but not for everyone. These medicines do have side effects that you can find about by searching the web. And need to know about before starting them.

What medication are you on now?
    What level or levels were fused? Was it L5/S1? (Like me)
    Have you been able to do some walking exercise?

Take care.
  • DaveFusion said:
    From what I was told L4 and 5 S1 I only had numbness in the legs until I had the surgery from my knee down to my ankle my leg hurts so bad at times I can't even touch it and the pain is constant between my ankles, Im taking Neurontin 100mg 2 x aday and 1-300mg at bedtime along with Lortab 10-500 every 6 hours for pain doesnt seem to touch the pain in my legs. I'm scheduled for Physical Therapy But I'm terrified of irritating the nerve and making the pain worse.
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 01/01/2013 - 4:54 AM
    by the sound of things and 6 weeks is very early on in your recovery ,,there is plenty of information on PLIF from a patent's point of view and the professional point of view .take your time your recover will be at least a year long..i had ALIF 12 months ago and i am no where near healed yet and still in pain .happy new new year {UK{
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I went for my 8 week checkup and xray The Doctor said I was healing great the spine is straight etc....I'm just starting my PT I'm still having alot of Sciatic nerve pain. My family Doctor increased my neurontin to 300 mg 3 x aday and added a 30 mg cymbalta 1 x aday so far I'm doing ok with this for my nerve pain. For my back I'm down to taking 1 -10mg. Lortab at night. I still haven't been able to get back into any strenuous activities.
  • I've went thru about 5 weeks of PT I was having a hard time with Physical Therapy. I actually stopped it because they seemed to have been making my pain alot worse. It's been 2 weeks of no PT and I'm doing so much better. I use a moist heating pad on my leg at night for about 30 minutes, I'm down to just taking one 300mg neurontin at night and nothing else. I do not just lay around all day I'm up cleaning the house doing laundry etc... I do get alittle pain in my back if I happen to forget and twist alittle too much I go up and down the steps during the day. I go back to the surgeon in April so we will see how this goes. I still find this site very helpful and continue reading on the forums....I wish you all the best of luck with your endeavers. I will continue to update periodically.
  • Leannalynn: great to hear you are progressing nicely. Keep it up.