Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mis TLIF Im doing awesome!

Had my TILF surgery on L5-S1 yesterday and must say im feeling pretty good so far! The surgery took double the time though at just over 7 hours! This was due to scar tissue from what I've been told. Still havent stood yet
I will post another update later today!

• Fantastic start. All the best.
  • bigmamareebbigmamaree Posts: 66
    edited 12/28/2012 - 2:08 AM
    You've made me feel more confident! I can't wait till I can feel like you!!! Just remember to take it easy! And keep us informed!
    Lumbar DDD
    TLIF 1/2/13
  • My first PT session is in an hour, i will update after that. This will also be the first time i will be walking since surgery
  • I am glad you are so positive. You don't hear much about how good you can feel after a fusion. I felt great after both of my fusions and I still don't have any pain from them. Now I can't wait to have another fusion to fix my herniated L5-S1. I know I sound crazy for wanting another surgery, but I know it will help my pain. I have exhausted all other conservative treatments. I hope you have a good PT session. Keep us posted.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Well I was up walking a few minutes ago. I'm still pretty weak but was able to make it a fair ways. They have me sitting up in a chair for awhile now. Pain is tolerable and seems to be mostly surgical.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 12/28/2012 - 10:28 AM
    I too, only had surgical pain after my fusions. I was up and walking the night of my first fusion, with my second fusion I had a catheter so I got to be lazy and lay in bed. I was up first thing in the morning wanting that darn thing out.. I made the mistake of not laying down in the middle of the day, I sat in the chair for like 10 hrs only getting up to use the restroom. I was sore when I went to lay in bed that night. I hope your recovery goes as well as mine did. Good luck and follow everything you doctor tells you.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Well I'm deffinately more sore today. But I've been off the pain pump since yesterday morning so i feel like I'm doing pretty well. I just had a mri on my neck due to waking up with arm and thumb numbness after surgery. Also got my xrays done for the screw and rod placements
  • I'm having a L4-S1 ALIF done this Friday and I'm super nervous. I hope it goes as well as yours did, recovery-wise! Good luck and glad you're doing well!
    DDD L4-5 & L5-S1 w/ herniation
    Failed discectomy, 8-15-11
    Discogram, 11-14-12
    L4-S1 ALIF (2 plastic cages, 2 plates and 8 screws), 1-4-13
    FBSS & SI joint dysfunction, 12-30-13
    1 year post-op CT hardware scan & left SI joint injection, 1-17-14
  • I am so happy to hear your progress. It sounds like your procedure is very somewhere to the one I am going to be getting the end of the month. Hearing a positive report and first-hand postop experience the day of the surgery is fantastic for someone like us to hear. Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Getting L5 S1 foraminotomy, and fusion with 4 bolts and 2 rods on 01/31/2013. Pars defect at L5, little to no disc between L5 S1, grade 2 stenosis at L5, pinched nerves.
  • Well I've been home for a couple of days now and I'm doing ok. Right after surgery I was doing really well but I had a couple issues with a fever and then what they thought was a bladder infection that turned out to be nothing. I also had some issues with the nurses not giving me my pain pills ontime (I was off the pump the day after surgery) so there were a few times when the pain jumped up and it took awhile to get under control. I had to mention to them what was going on so they would correct it. Another reason I started having the extra pain was because surgery went over 3 hours longer so the areas of pressure points where I layed are extremely sore as well.

All in all I'm doing good and should be feeling pretty good in a week or two.
  • Yes, it's not always plain sailing, but at least it's better than before. Different and temporary pain.

Remember to do enough exercise but not overdo it. Need to move lots to make sure the new scar tissue remains soft and flexible.

Take care.