Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain following surgery to resect cervical schwannoma tumour

In June 2010 I had a MRI for pain in my lower back and a niggly pain in my upper right arm. It was discovered I have a schwannoma tumour at C4-5-6, and my spinal cord was servely compromised. I was bookd in for surgeryl within one week.
Following complete resection of the tumour and subsequent MRI x 2, I was told the tumour had been completely removed and no new tumours were found.
However since this 'major' surgery I have now developed severe pain across my back at shoulder blade level, also in my arms and neck. I have been seen by Pain Management clinics who just say that the tumour must have caused nerve damage. I have tried many medications but as they make me sleepy I am reluctant to take them as I am single parent with a child to care for.
I am struggling mainly whilst sitting and sleeping, no repositioning seems to help. I am becoming exhausted with the whole thing, although I do know if the tumour had not been discovered and resected I would not be here. So that is my one thing I am grateful for.
HAs anyone experienced this type of pain?

• What medication were you given ! And what 1 can you take that dont cause you to get sleepy ?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • rawtanirrawtani Posts: 1
    edited 08/06/2015 - 9:23 AM
    Hi lijo,

I see its been over 2 years since you posted this. I am having the same operation in about 1-2 weeks. Your post has me a bit worried. How are things with you now? Did you get relief? Did things work out and if so how? Please let me know thanks.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Pleased click on link for helpful information!
  • I had a schwannoma removed 4 weeks ago, I had a T3-4 laminectomy excision. I spent 4 days at the hospital after op, the pain was controlled at he hospital. I took percocet for 3 weeks, I asked the surgeon for more pain meds he said I could take advil, my pain is still on I went back to the methadone I was taking before surgery but I am still in pain, my pain is worse now (4 weeks after op) than before. I asked the surgeon for an MRI he said the only thing it will show is inflammation he said he will order one in 6 mo, he sent me for physical therapy but I have not started yet.
    The pain is on the left side of my back and the surgery was on the right side. I am able to walk fine, but I cant stand for long time
    Anyone in the forum had the same surgery that I did, how was your recovering, r u in pain now. Please share your experience.I am a 53 yo male
    Have u seen a phisio, should I see one.
    Thank you