Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NORCO - how to stop taking before surgery

Currently I take 2 Norco usually once a day for pain management. I take one flexiril at night. I have been on vicadin and now Norco since August. I try to only take norco once a day, sometime twice. About every two weeks I try to take two days off from meds as I don't want any addiction or dependency problems.

Here's the problem. When I skip a day without Norco my bowels get really loose. I can go number 2 like five times from 9:00am till about 2:00pm. It's a real pain. Once I get past 2:00pm I'm good but feel like crap. Skipping flexiril doesn't have any bad side effects.

I am asking if this is normal and what to do because I'm hoping to stop taking NORCO all together for two weeks leading up to my surgery which is on January 31st. It's a TLIF L5-S1 procedure. I want to get my resistance back down so that the post op meds will be as effective as possible.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Getting L5 S1 foraminotomy, and fusion with 4 bolts and 2 rods on 01/31/2013. Pars defect at L5, little to no disc between L5 S1, grade 2 stenosis at L5, pinched nerves.
advertisement

Comments

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 01/03/2013 - 1:48 AM
    Just cut back to 1 norco twise a day instead of 2 and then just once a day if posible as long as pain level allows it,
    This way you backed off it slower then just stoping it all at once,

2 norco twise a day most of us would not consider it to be a lot to worry about, I take 4 a day for years now and never had any issue if i stoped taking it other then pain level going up, Some days i get by only 3 a day but had days i took up to 6 and realised it did no longer help anyways taking more,

There should be no serious issue geting off such low dose of what you are on,

Its the other drugs in the morphine family you dont want to get use to along with fantynal patches or oxy as most people find it hard to come off mostly on these kind of pain drugs,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Did your doctor tell you that you needed to be off the meds before your surgery? I would speak to my doctor about weaning myself off the medication.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • ? your doc taking you off before surgery doesn't sound normal? only 2 a day they are 5 or 10mg...
    ask doc.
    when I was in hospital last month the doc cut back to 5mg and told me when I got home try advil hahaha I say, I could take 6 wouldn't dull the pain.
    Any other meds your on. And flexeril do have side effects.
    I agree with Alex(ssshhh don't tell him) your not on that many meds or even a big one such as oxy's or morphine, but any meds when you stop will change ur body, So please ask doc first.

tc
    good luck
    keep us up to date on surgery
    Mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.