Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Odd sciatica moment

Okay, most of you know me, 4 months out L5S1 micro D. Up & down since surgery but improving fairly steadily. Check this one out. I am dealing with another bout of tingling & numbness about 4 days now off & on.

Yesterday hangin with some buddies in the garage talkin football, standing. Well standing has been my enemy, mostly pre-op. Post op sitting has actually been more of a problem.

Anyways we are all standing and my numbness is increasing, Im lfting my leg and leaning still a habit leftover from pre-op. It never really helped then and doesent help still. so its increasing more & more and Im about to say we gotta go inside so I can sit, and poof! It dissapates! Well I was pleasantly surprised. I am 99% sure I have no impingements on the nerve, so when its flared I usually just chalk it up to inflammation & swelling. It does not take much to set it off.

So why does the nerve still act like its pinched sometimes? Is it just the nerves version of muscle memory? I know standing has been a physical and mental problem for me. It was such a problem pre-op that sometimes I think the nerve still thinks that causes a problem when it really dosent. My PT compares it to a kinked hose. And even after you un-kink the hose the impression is still there. I dont know, I am not complaining. I rarely stand in the garage anymore since I have quit smoking after surgery. And I work in a shop with cement floors. So there is really no rhyme or reason to it. These damn nerves are tricky!

Feeling pretty good today, over this almost week long bout I have only taken 2 naproxen and a few aleve, but nothing yesterday or today. Ice always helps too. I am hoping the coaster is back on the up.

Thanks for listening!
L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!

• UGH.... I really hope you feel better. Who knows the heck our backs and nerves are doing. It's so annoying!
  • Nerve issues are confusing for sure ! Nobody ever has the correct answer to what the cause is it seems,
    I done the same too often meet up at a friends house stand around in the garage ,slowly legs start going weak as everyone talking cars and motors as i say hell no bye i need to go sit down boys,

If its not legs going weak then nerve flares up hurting so bad you ready to remove a spark plug out of the motor with your teeth! Hey just start that 69 chevy and back over me as i lay behind the tires and that should decompress that nerve !

Good luck with your recovery. With some luck you be as good as new ! You just need to be restored like an old car ! Dont forget to check the dip stick so you dont blow a spine bearing,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • After my surgery in 2003 for a herniated disc, the surgeon said he didn't get all the micro-bone chips out. Bone chip? Yes, Bone chips from the vertebrae rubbing together. He said I would have a bone chip hitting the sciatica nerve, when and where would be a surprise and would hurt but would quickly disappear. It did happen(for 2 yrs. after surgery) and I almost fell several times. Not fun! It hasn't happen in several years. Not sure if this helps you guys, I hope so.