Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recommendations for a neurosurgeon in the US who performs multilevel artificial disk replacement? C4

Hi, I am a 45 year old woman who has been physically active and athletic my entire life and I want to continue to be able to do everything with minimal pain. I have had chronic back pain for at least 15 years resulting from several issues in my spine and am hoping to find a surgeon (ideally a neurosurgeon or a very skilled and experienced orthopedic surgeon) who has performed multi-level artificial disc replacement in both the cervical and lumbar regions.

I have a bone spur between C5-C6 which is compressing my spinal cord which recently began causing weakness in my right arm/hand in particular. I also have herniated discs between C4-C5 and C6-C7 and so far all of the doctors I have seen are recommending the traditional anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF) treatment for my neck which I really do not wish to pursue.

In addition, I have spinal stenosis and herniated discs in my lumbar region L3-S1 with one disc completely gone resulting in bone on bone at L5-S1.

Needless to say my spine is not happy. I come from a long line of active, athletic women who live to 94 years old and above and I want to be able to do the same. Any recommendations for surgeons in the USA who perform multilevel artificial disc replacements would be very appreciated. I am trying to do as much research as possible about different options available.

Bambi Yost
Bambi Yost

• Unfortunately, the powers that be here do not let us publicize names. However, members can do so privately via private message. I was once actively pursuing ADR but when I found out I am not a candidate, I discontinued researching. I'm going to pm you a link to another place that I knew of to be helpful.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • pm me the link also if you can. Just curious what place you refering to !

What area are you from Bambi ? I met a guy who working in menards he had multiple Adr and was doing great, 1 in neck and 1 lower back, He told me who did his here in chicago and i was so jelious as mine was only 1 level lower back and i have had so much complications,

I realy wish i went to his dr who used diferent Adr from mine as my flexicore adr seems most had trouble who had it done,
    This clinical trial adr done around 2004 to 2006 i believe realy screwed up a lot of people before they stoped using it,

So let me know what area you are in and i can tell you who not to go to. Lol. My dr who did mine i would not recomend to my worse enemy ,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi,
    I'm in central Iowa. I teach at Iowa State University but I am willing to go anywhere in the US to have surgery provided I find the right surgeon. Chicago isonly 6 hours away so by all means shoot me an e-mail with a name of a great surgeon if you have one.
    Bambi Yost
  • Bambi,

I know you requested information for ADR. I'm sorry I cannot help with that. But I am writing because I had problems with the same levels as you. I am hoping maybe to be able to provide moral support for you! In 2009 I had the cervical fusion C5-C7. I've done remarkably well with it. 3 months ago I had fusion at L3-S1. It is the toughest thing I've ever done in my life, but I am on the road to recovery! If I can help you at all, please don't hesitate to contact me! Best wishes on your journey! Think positive...it does help :-)
    2007 and 2010 L4-S1 Microdiscectomies; helped for a total of 3 years between the 2 of them.
    08/2011....pain returned.
    10/03/2012....back reconstruction L3-S1...large titanium "seperators" were put at each level with synthetic bone graft material.
  • I believe the ADR has only been approved for one level applications. Essentially, there must be a regular disk in between the ADR and next level. So, if you needed a multi-level fusion ADR would be contraindicated. I saw this information a few years ago, so the FDA may have changed it since then.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Pm sent for So Cal recommendations :)
  • bpreachersbbpreachers Posts: 147
    edited 01/27/2013 - 4:10 PM
    I am confused. If doctors you have seen are suggesting an ACDF as the best way to fix your problem why are you seeking out a doctor that will do a surery that has apparently not been suggested. I am all for getting second opinions from doctors but where did you come up with an ADR being better for your situation? Do you have medical training and happen to know better than the doctors you have seen up to now? I just confused at your situation. Did you happen to bring up wanting ADR surgery instead of ACDF to any of the doctors you have seen previously?