Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second Anterior interbody fusion?

I have a friend who had a 360 2 level fusion at L4 L5 L5 S1, had to have revision surgery by a plastic surgeon to repair damage done to the muscles in the front and now the Dr. want to do another anterior fusion at L3 L4 and remove the old hardware from the back, my question is this person was told by another surgeon not to have another anterior fusion because of the dangers and that it's not normal to go back in from the front after already having 2 surgeries through the front, does anyone know if this is true?

• The danger is from the scar tissue that is building up. What matters is how the hardware was put in? If it was put in from the front the only way they will get it out is from the front, which is why they don't like putting hardware in from the front. If I was your friend I would seek out several more opinions before I would do this surgery. I would never let a surgeon do surgery without getting more opinions. While I understand he is in pain, these surgeries are things you can take back. So your tell your friend to get more opinions. I have actually heard of the dangers of going in the front more than once due to the scar tissue that has evolved which doesn't show up on imaging. I believe the risk is with a bleeder if I am not mistaken, but i am no doctor. Seen something happen with a family member on a heart surgery on the descending aorta.
  • They can maybe go again in from the front but more from the side i believe is how they can get around that complication,
    I think i am not sure,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks tamtam for the answer, my friend has been warned a couple of time about going in through the front again, the problem is the Dr. is not listening to him about it, I think it’s time for a new Dr.