Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from a new member and old frined of pain

Not sure where to start other than me browsing the forums for several days now.
I have kyphosis and scoliosis in my thoracic area. (Scoliosis diagnosed when I was 15, kyphosis a bit later, no treatment and I never pursued one as the pain kinda didn't bother me that much and I was young and I knew better lol) Since 2010 it was a slow painful way downhill for me, thru physio in early 2011, to needing to step down from my work position to lower one, thru hitting a brick wall with antidepressants, painkillers and physio at the end of 2011 to starting another physio at the beginning of 2012 and learning a bit more about how spine and ribs and muscles round it work thru loads of X-rays and loads of painful areas around my body popping out here and then to eventually needing to quit work in May 2012 due to the pain.
Spending most of the rest of the year just at home getting worse really, suffering from pain in my thoracic and lumbar area and also getting loads of pain in right side of ribs (I worked in care sector and for a while I used to carry hot water bottle with me on very bad days to work to help me to get thru 12 hours night shift caring for the elderly). Finally taking some serious think and having an appointment made for me in Cambridge (2 hours trip by train) and seeing a neurosurgeon who confirmed me having mild scoliosis and severe kyphosis. Eventually getting a funny ear infection in November which resulted with a trip to A&E as I felt really funny, spending next 2 or 3 weeks at home not able to do much due to dizziness, introduced very painful area in my left side of chest which resulted in my anxiety levels going so high that I ended up having panic attacks :( as I started worrying that my spinal curves would affect my heart or lungs. Had MRI of whole spine and 24 hrs ECG done in December. My ECG showed normal heart which was reassuring I'll be seeing the surgeon in two weeks to discuss the MRI and hopefully X-rays which I was told would be done on the day of my visit.
Pain is one side of my rather dull story, the anxiety and depression that showed up recently is another but that's apparently common with chronic pain. As loads of you might imagine, not working, on benefits put extra pressure on finances and that just ads up to everything so I'm a little ball of furry fear nowadays.
The reasons I'm posting here is:

a)I found this site while looking for some new info for me problems

b)hoping to find someone in simlar boots to mine (I understand it's all individual but hey...)

c) Today's events that made me realise how much the pain changed me and how little I'm left with (having said so I've got great 5,5 year old boy and a partner, plus family back in Poland [I live in UK and I am 32 btw lol sorry rambling on] :D )

But let's get back to today's event. Laugh. that what made me realise how little I laughed in last years and how I found little reasons to laugh.
Laugh unfortunately didn't come from me but from new medication I was prescribed yesterday after talking to another GP in my surgery explaining to him that I think some of my pain I experience is neuropathic (something I learnt by stumbling across this site) I wonder how many of you thought of Lyrica ;) I mean I took 75 mg last night and within hours I could feel the benefit of it as a pain relief and anxiety relief (The doctor seemed to like the idea of killing two birds with one stone ;) )
but today I woke up after somewhat decent night and felt so out of it that I couldn't take my son to school and my partner did. Took another Lyrica as advised (twice a day) and kinda went to sleep for few hours woke up mid day, barely making it on my legs due to dizziness and absolutely amazing amount of need for sleep (!) and the whole hell broke loose. I started LAUGHING and I mean laughing like I haven't done in years to the point of squeezing tears at times. I know euphoria is one of the side effects of lyrica but I'm not sure if I can carry on taking it despite relief in pain like I haven't in years and even being happy ain't bad but the sleepiness, dizziness and legs heavy like the whole earth seems a bit too much. Also I should have taken my tramadol today but decided not to whilst taking Lyrica. Now I can feel the pain relief from Lyrica fading away and I'm somewhat back to normal miserable myself wondering whether to take tramdol later and forget about Lyrica or whether to persist with Lyrica for few days and then see how tramadol being taken at different times would work for me. I know you kind peeps can't help me but sharing a problem always makes it weight less (well so they say)

Sorry for such a chaotic introduction but my mind is on its trip to new lands today ;) hope you understand at least half of what I wrote.

So to finish it of, big hello to you peeps and stay as healthy as you can be :)
32 year old kyphoscoliosis suffer.
Getting up everyday to fight the pain.
Loosing most of the time though :-(

• That is definately not a side effect I experienced with Lyrica, would have been nice to have a laughing fit...
    If you are having issues with your meds please speak to your Dr, none of us are qualified to answer those type of questions.
    My own experience with Lyrica and gabapentin as well as numerous other meds is that the side effects do ease after being on them for a period of time. If what you are experiencing is too much to handle please contact you Dr.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • asmmargodaasmmargod Posts: 2
    edited 01/08/2013 - 8:11 AM
    I noticed in leaflet that being extremely happy (it says a bit different there) can be a side effect.of it. Id really like to stay on lyrica as within hours it proved to give me some pain relief that other painkillers didn't but yeah I might be making appointment with docs to see if lower dose (although Im at the lowest starting dose) would be ok or maybe different drug.
    Just surprised really that there are drugs that ACTUALLY work as recently I really started doubting my life being relatively pain free
    32 year old kyphoscoliosis suffer.
    Getting up everyday to fight the pain.
    Loosing most of the time though :-(