Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ssdi help/questions

I'm brand new to all the Ssdi stuff but not to back pain and problems. My back history is as follows:

12/2000-back went out-had x/rays and MRI-found to have ruptured disk and DDD-had laminectomy
12/2001-spinal stimulator put in (FYI-this was AWFUL!)
7/2009-back pain was continuing to get worse. Was EXTREMELY unhappy with doctor's treatment-the one who put in stimulator-was referred to new neurologist
8/2009-neurologist removed stimulator and did another MRI. He found severe scar tissue from 1st surgery, l4/l5 bone on bone with fragments, spinal stenosis, arthritis, DDD worse, and said LOTS of scar tissue in upper back from where leads had been from stimulator. Told I needed a cage around l4/l5 to strengthen BUT could only do this by going in from front due to extensive scar tissue in lower back. Wanted to schedule surgery immediately. I was SCARED and there was no way I could take off work for 8-10 weeks for recovery. Neurologist was very understanding and sent me to pain management.
1/2010-noticed increased pain in right leg, and top of foot completely numb-had electrocardiograph (I'm not sure if this is correct word I just know they electrocuted my legs!) and was found I have very bad nerve damage.

I've continued seeing pain management doctor every month & had several shots in SI joint but in October of last year (2012) was forced to quit work because I just can't take the pain any longer. I filed for Ssdi in December.

On side note, I was diagnosed 2 years ago with "the worst undiagnosed case of adult ADHD" the psychologist had ever seen and have been on medication for that as well as pain meds, anxiety meds, and ambien.

I'm only 47 years old. Now I have no job, no insurance, have run out of money and terrified about the wait for Ssdi! I've got 4 children and a supportive husband but I'm now so depressed I don't even want to leave the house. I just don't know what my family is going to do but I can't do the work I've done since I was 16-bookkeeping/accounting.

Does anyone have anything that may help me get thru this?
Jessica daffin

• Have you applied for disability? You can get it on the first time you apply. I have had five back surgeries and I have bipolar disorder. I applied for SSD in July of last year and I received my approval on December 4th. I just got my back pay last week. So, don't give up on getting disability. I think they want all the medical evidence that you can possibly give to SS. Keep all your doctor's appts. Find a good social security lawyer, most will not charge a fee unless they win.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Hi, I'm glad you found this site.
    i ended up hiring a SSD lawyer. They are paind by getting a percentage of any back pay that SSD owes you once you have been approved. i had to go in front of a judge and he asked a few questions. Nothing scary at all. I hope it all works out for you. keep coming here. The folks here are very helpful and caring.
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!

• I might be wrong but I think an attorney could file a hardship case to speed up the process. I think you might have to show that you stand a good chance of losing your home or car ...ect.

I hope it works out for you.

• sounds very familiar! cutting to the chase, i would apply for LT state disability in order to have your surgery done. they pay for one year. i had a good salary, so i received 1,850.- every 2 weeks which was good money. i waited 17 months after my failed surgery to apply for ssdi, but i just did so and have an ssdi worker who spent like 45 minutes on the phone w/ me monday! my lawyer sucks, but i think they now know not to mess with me.

i had a manic episode in 11/11 followed by severe depression and i negotiated w/ my shrink MD to do an output. partial hospitalization day treatment for 2 months. the chronic pain, lack of money, poor mobility only increase my ADD and my focus and concentration are shot. sometimes i forget, or "lose" words. i can be nasty and agitated for no reason, and cry if the UPS man says hello. my psychiatrist is emphatic about my inability to perform as an RN, and he's right.

listen... set up the surgery before something permanent occurs. you fill out the disability form with the MD in the hospital. in ca. they give you an ATM card and just load it twice/ month. you get recertified every 3 months, but it's nothing. what a relief to have had like $3,600.-/ monthly. you can rest assured, but the surgery needs to be completed first.

please write, as i am most interested in hearing your outcome. oh, and FYI- you can get the disability paperwork from the hospital social worker. there IS a time limit, too. :-)
  • Hi I sent you a PM on some help or you.
    Keep in mind if you win your case and to make it easy lets say they make Jan 1st 2013 your onset date then there is a five month waiting period. So your first month of coverage would be June of 2013 and they pay you on the next month so Junes money would come in July and then you would not be elgable for Medicare until they paid you for 24 months. So no medical help from SSDI until 29 months from your omset date. Yep it sucks when we need it.

They do do some hardship cases but they have to be worse then no job no money and house is being repoed.
    More like a short life span is expected. I would guess half of those filling are or have lost a house.
    The whole process can take from a few months to several years. I have been in touch with people that went as long as 6 and 7 years. Mine took six months on the first level and was awarded.

Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.