Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you cope with it?

For starters, we know that probably 65% of the members on this site are dealing with chronic pain. And figure that about 99% of the folks here are dealing with some type of spinal problem or are helping someone who has it.

Spinal problems cause all sorts of havoc with our lives. Everyone understands the physical pain, the day to day discomfort, getting up in the morning, missing out on some things, etc. But there is the non-visible pain that many times is harder to deal with.

What I would like to explore is what ways do you have in dealing/coping with both your physical and emotional pain.

Some things that come to mind are:
  • Music therapy
  • Aroma therapy
  • Meditation
  • Hobbies
  • Exercise therapy, such as Yoga
Notice that I did not mention any conventional pain medications , ESI, Physical/Aqua Therapy, etc. We all know about those. But I really think there are ways that each of us cope with it all. There are no rights or wrongs, its what works for you.

For me, so much of my coping mechanisms start right here. I am lucky enough to have spent a long time with Spine-Health and have met so many different people. The feeling I get when one of my posts help someone is 10 times stronger the the strongest narcotic.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• edited 01/11/2013 - 4:23 PM
    As luck would have it, While still in my thirties I was introduced to chronic unrelenting nerve pain for which I am now 2 years in and 2 major spinal operations later. Since I am an artist and sad as it is- I have not been able to use my right hand as I always have been due to this high-maintenance c6 nerve, I was not able to have this important outlet. It seemed a cruel joke from the heavens- that I would not be able to use Art to help when I finally really needed it- so I was forced to find something else in which my soul would delight.

I found something very comforting and wonderful about that "down time- when we are suppose to heal and we are not allowed to pick up more than 5 or 10 pounds. I could finally do all the things which I always wanted to do but never found the time or the courage..
    What I was blessed to discover after my first major surgery was the ethereal and magical healing power of making music.
    It was time to pick up Guitar again and then learn to play the cello.
    What an absolute joy it is to both learn something new and experience the very real beauty of losing yourself completely in something which is just purely joyful; Making music. All I have to pay attention to is just one simple note. Just one little note. If I could get one note right, then I could get 2. Or 3 or 4. And all those notes could form a delightful little tune. And once the tune takes form these light and joyous moments - they feed upon themselves. The beat beckons every part of your body to keep going- keep expressing- keep trying- keep healing. The soul seems to wake up and the harmony- it resonates through all the tissues. It seems to transcend any gloomy moment- and makes it impossible to focus on the pain that was previously eating into my very core.
    Music. Whether singing or playing guitar, or playing cello - It's absolutely a delight.
    I am now 5 weeks out from my last surgery- a vertembrectomy ACDF on two levels to fix the situation for good. I have great hope that this will have freed my nerves so that I will be able to draw and paint and ride horses and do all of the things which give me such joy. I can do none of these things now. That is OK because I am reading music and learning how to compose music. And these too give great joy. They give me lightness. Lightness and laughter and joy. these are so important toward healing.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    edited 01/11/2013 - 5:35 PM
    Its so good that you found relief through music.
    Isnt amazing what how sometimes such pure easy steps forward can conquer the highest mountain

I just hope others read your post. Thank you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Same here, Guitar gets me through the rough times play and feel the music expreses some of my pain and depression being releised through sound lyrics as music allows you to reach in deep in your soul and sing what you realy feel , You know this is your song your words , nobody else needs to understand it as long as you know the meaning ,

You have to hurt to feel , You have to know love to know hate , Best songs.came from a persons suffering in diferent stages in there life as we see life so much diferent when its not what we imagined !
    We all have a tale to tell and a song to sing as each song tells a story from our life deep within !

Music is the best therapy , creating music opens up part of the brain most can never imagine how much it helps bring stress level down as it releases deep depression feeling not left locked up ,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I taught myself how to quilt. I also play the piano and video games. I enjoy quilting cause it is mentally exhausting. I find that once I have finished a quilt, I get that since of accomplishment that I got when I was working. I need something to keep my mind occupied. I cannot stop my physical pain own right now, at least not without knocking myself out. I am glad I found a hobby that I enjoy doing. However I do cheat at quilting, since I can't sit for long periods of time cutting fabric. I go online and buy quilt kits. Everything I need is already pre-cut and measured out for me. I just get to do the fun part, sewing it together. When I am not sewing, I also enjoy playing on my keyboard and some video games.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.