Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going in for a posterior laminectomy and fusion, kind of nervous

I'm going in for a posterior laminectomy and fusion with instrumentation this Tuesday. I'm scared. Just nervous about the whole thing. I'm having 2 levels fused my C6 and my C7. This is because there is a fracture in the C7 and the facet is pressing on a nerve which is causing me numbness and weakness in my tricep.

I want to say thank you to the people who posted to the post-op must have list. I used that to get a bunch of things ready. I really appreciated that.

I do have some silly questions about recovery. I really want to get my hair done. How long was it after surgery that you were able to get your hair cut, colored, and blow dryed? I'm going to ask my doctors this after surgery but I'm just curious for other people.

Also how long until you could drive? I'm not in any big rush to drive, but I'm looking forward to it.

I have heard it's difficult right after the surgery. I'll cope with it. And then I'm going to work to feel better every day until the pain gets to be less. I know it is a process that is going to happen in stages.

Anyway if anyone had a similar operation as I'm going to have and if they want to share how their recovery went, I would be thankful to you.

• First let me state though we had the same surgery mine is a different situation as I am male and had from C3 to T4 done. Now that that caveat is out of the way.

I had a posterior laminectomy and fusion with rods from C3 to T4. I was stuck in the hospital for recovery for 6 days. I have to wear a brace for 6 weeks post surgery. At the 6 week mark I will be able to drive. As to getting your hair done that is hard to say. It still hurts just to shampoo my hair, I couldn't imagine someone pulling my head around messing with my hair even at this stage and I am a month post-op. I am sure it will vary forr each person but I think that you will know when it is ok for you and your specific situation. Good luck and if you have questions please ask.