Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery on Thursday 17th Jan

centuryccccenturycc Posts: 6
edited 01/13/2013 - 11:23 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I've been a member for a little while now, I'm from the UK and I live in South Devon, just reading the posts on here has helped me gain some sort of understanding of what to expect.
The time is now drawing near and I'm growing a little nervous to say the least.
I go into hospital on Thursday morning at 07.15 for a 'micro discectomy L5/L4' and I'm hopeful of being let home late on Friday afternoon. I've been laid up for nearly a year now, going from an active lifestyle to barely being able to walk, and having to take buckets full of meds, so I am really looking forward to being able to walk pain free and upright again, and also not having to take medication. I can't wait to have it done, but I'm also dreading it at the same time, if that makes sense.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• Hopefully you have found a good surgeon! Also make sure you listen to their advice at discharge! Don't overdue it
    Good luck :)
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 01/14/2013 - 12:44 AM
    We understand the anxiety and nervousness just before spinal surgery. Absolutely normal and understandable!

Do follow the instructions given for your recovery. You will probably over do it and flare up pain again, but if you really over do it, you risk reherniating the disc. You won't want to do that.

Remember, no bending, lifting or twisting! Here, we call it No BLT!

Have you got a grabber to pick things up and reach things? There is a list at the top of the Back and Neck surgeries thread of useful items for after surgery. the list is very loooonnnngggg! Don't be worried by it! You won't need it all, but it will give you an idea of things that may be helpful and what your limitations may be. Everyone is different in how much of this equipment they need.

I would say that a grabber is essential to stop you trying to bend. They are not expensive.
    You may well need laxatives, so you might want to get those in advance!!
    Rather than rush out and buy lots of equipment that you may never need, you could just resource the stuff that you think may be useful and after surgery, if you need it, then you could order it online, or get someone to get it for you.
    Make sure that you also have plenty of pillows/cushions to get yourself comfortable.

Good luck :-)
    Do come and let us know how you get on and ask any questions you may have.