Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another condisending pain doc idiot!!!!!!

Hi spineys,
WOW Saw another pain doc yesterday, lucky my hubby drove me and came in. And glad he didn't deck the doc.
He starts out by asking me what issues I was having briefly, then looks at meds my pcp is trying, and quickly very loudly says I don't do meds here all I do is injections to deal with pain.
He asked about my past surgery and he was so impatient, very condescending he barely looked at me.
When my husband spoke he was apologetic saying oh he believes I'm in pain, but asked how many other pain docs I have seen in this building. wth
I was fuming as anything I said was diminished. He said well we all have to keep active and I can send you to pt. but even getting a mri would be very costly. (then I said so if I had my good union insurance you would have ordered one asap.

He was an idiot, and I will be writing my review of him soon.
He only did a 5 sec exam. My hubby was speechless at this point. And he has me walk and do the quick stand on toes stuff, was a bad feeling. The way he was very loud at first and said so what do you want me to do.

Well I lost it, i said well it seems to me you don't give a crap for me or women in general, my husband is not the patient here.
And seems that since I have state insurance you seem to have issues with that.
I have seen some idiots in the years, this one takes the top of pile.
I said I hope you have a better day, as the way you treat new patience I see why you only have office hours 4 hrs a wk.

I don't expect a magic pill, just some human compassion. Or how about respect.
I was glad hubby came to see what some docs are like.
He was not happy at all, and was still telling doc few things. I just said forget it he's just another ignorant doc.

So life goes on, and I am going to keep calling around and find someone, human to help.

Have good and safe wkend all
neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
daily goal do good thing for someone.

• I just had to respond to your post. I have been the "victim" of arrogant doctors more times than I care to recall. What is the problem these days. I'm sure insurance is one factor, but so are "law suits", etc. It is beyond me that doctors are so insensitive and so "busy". They give you 10 minutes of time. I still have to pay a co-pay, and my insurance pays a handsome amount. Doesn't that give us the privilege of some of their precious time? I've also had the experience of a doctor looking at my husband and not me.
    Anyway, that's enough of a rant. I wish you the best in your search for a caring, human doctor.
  • Sorry for your experience, but WTG on how you handled it. Sometimes doctors need to be put in their place. I think with some of these docs the unwarranted idolatry goes to their head. The way I see it I'm the boss,not the other way around. I've had to put a few in their place. Which reminds me of a funny story.

Several years ago I went to my GP to have a small growth on my scalp looked at,he in turn referred me to another Doc as he thought it might be cancerous. As luck would have it on the day of my appointment that doc was in the hospital having surgery himself. I was referred to yet another doc and had to wait several weeks yet again,mind you by this time I was getting a little stressed over the situation.
    Finally when I did get to see this Doc he gives me a quick look and confirms what my GP had said and then tells me to come back in three weeks and he will do a biopsy. Well me being who I am, I wasn't going to leave his office with this growth still on me,so I told him No! your going to remove this Now! not in three weeks. He had this shocked look on his face,then says I don't think you understand how I make money,I in turn told him I don't give a s^^t how you make money,right now you work for me and your going to remove this.
    He stood there stunned for a few seconds then asks me if he could see his other two appointments and then take care of me as he wasn't planning on doing this today,I told him was ok with that and then went out in the lobby and told my wife what had just transpired,she immediately starts laughing as she knows how I can get when someone pushes my buttons.

About a half hour goes by and I was called back in. As the doc was giving me shots to numb the area he tells me that he's not use to patients being so aggressive, I in turn started laughing and told him I wasn't aggressive just do what I want and everything will be ok,which made him laugh then we started joking back and forth.He made a comment about the biopsy sample looking like a sea urchin as he held it up to me in a jar for me to see.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story,and I am truly sorry for your experience not all docs are jerks.
  • I commend you for not taking that "doctor's" crap. Keep looking like you said, and you will find a doctor that will help you. They are out there. I wait sometimes for 4 or 5 hours to see my doctor on the day of my appointment. It may seem excessively long, and many patients complain about it, but I have become accustomed to the waiting. It's actually worth it-- Wait 4 or 5 hours, then you receive the doctors undivided attention for however long is necessary during your appointment, be treated with courtesy and respect, be actually listened to, be asked what you think would help you, walk out of office armed with the knowledge that the doctor truly listened and helped you in the best way known to both you and the doctor. The other good thing is all the tests, xrays, mri's, etc., that you may need are all located either under the same roof, or are within most peoples walking distance. I wish you Good Luck,
  • I am so thankful for my doctor! The only bad thing about her is getting an appointment!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • i really researched and read between the lines on each and every pain mgmt. doc in my area. my PM doc is cutting me off at 3 weeks- no questions asked. now, i have had a number of surgeries, and generally need at least intermittent pain meds for 6 weeks. this may be longer.

the clinic is advertised as a walk in. no insurance, and they have their own pharmacy. you need to bring most recent MRI and summary, along with the pharmacy printout. seems they will possibly rule in your favor if you are on the up and up, really requiring the meds.

the next stop is if and when i am feeling well enough to get off the narcotic completely, i spoke to my colleague MD from my last job. he prescribes suboxone in another state, and thinks it's a great short term solution to discontinuing the oxycodone. just like a week only.

the biggest problem is that my current PM doc is the PM working with my neurosurgeon. surgery is wednesday. i don't want to cause trouble, but i feel i need to look out for myself. i hope he will retain me under his care for recuperation when i decline services from her. there is another PM doc/ physiatrist, so maybe that one can supervise my rehab.

this came not a moment too soon. the new pain clinic is pricey- $269.- initially, and $159.-/ monthly thereafter. the suboxone is also expensive, but some things just have to be done.

i was so depressed and hopeless- but i feel safe now that i won't need to risk being under medicated post-op.
  • I just moved here from NY I need a good PM doc out here I cant make the drive (10hrs round trip) to NY.