Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Transitional Segment, anyone?

Hey all. For about eight months now, I have had super intense pain in my low low back (right above the butt crack area). It feels like it's right at my spine, but sometimes it radiates out to the sides of my back. I went to my doctor and she said it was probably because I am so overweight and sent me to therapy. At physical therapy, they told me that my sacrum was twisted and gave me some exercises to do.

Well, they didn't help. The pain didn't go away in the slightest. The only time that it didn't hurt was when I would sit or lie down. I went to the chiropractor last week and he did x-rays and told me that I have a transitional segment, my L5 fused with my sacrum.

He didn't have much good news...he said that he'll need to see me a couple times a week for pain management and that I should be taking pain medication. He said that if I still live in the area in ten years, he'll still be seeing me. How lovely.

From my research, there seems to be little information about transitional segments or what can be done about them. Does anyone else have this as their primary back problem? From what I HAVE managed to find and read, it seems like this could be pretty serious...leading to herniated discs and possible nerve damage.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'll post this in a couple topics, so if you see it more than once, my apologies.

• Hi There,
    I have this condition as well, they termed it "bertolotti syndrome" so that may give you more to research on, in my case its on the left, its painful, i also have DDD, bone spurs, the whole nine yards. my l3-l4 and l4-l5 is so bad its literally bone on bone. Knock on wood, for now my pain is being managed with medications, I haven't seen a surgeon yet, although I know I'll have to sooner rather than later. Good luck to you!