Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myleogram test before surgery..help please

I have had three cervical spine surgeries in the past, the last one being on the C5-c6 in 2009. I am having terrible pain and my pain meds and injections aren't helping very much. I had an MRI last week and saw the surgeon today. He said he thinks I need a surgery on my C6-C7 now as I have a bulging disc with a broad osteophyte complex which is flattening the spinal cord. He doesn't think the front of my neck is good to go through as they have done it twice through there and I also have spurs on the C4-C5. The used a BMP protein last time and apparently I now have spurs above and below the C5-C6. He wants to set me up for a myleogram just to get better pics and decide which side to go through this time. I have heard terrible things about the test such as severe headaches for days, etc. Can ANYONE give me any info on what this test is and how it affected them? I know everyone is different but I never go for a test without ALL the info i can find.

• Yes, the myelogram sounds scary, but it's not so bad. There was one brief period during the actual injecting of the dye that I felt a lot of pressure, but it passed very quickly. The hardest part was being still and horizontal afterwards. I too feared the headache. The advice I read was to aggressively hydrate the day before, then drink caffeine after the procedure to flush out the dye. And of course, keep flat! Worked for me. :-) Wishing you the best! Nicki
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 02/01/2013 - 12:21 AM
    You kids have it made these days, I had my 1 st mylogram back in the 90"s. Thats when mylogram was still old school big needle,
    My latest mylogram a year or 2 ago was nothing like back in the 90"s. Very small needle so very small chance to have a spine leaking fluid to cause head ace ,

They come a long way so i would not worry about a mylogram very much, Just follow instructions and stay layed down for the day just to be safe,

Very soon coming out from my mylogram in recovery i had to get up and pee, And i did and never had any issues standing up so soon after the procedure, Thank god, Hey when you got to go you got to go,

Best of luck , Hope it all works out for you, With the surgery you already had , mylogram is a walk in the park !
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I too was completely freaked out about the things I read. It wasn't bad at all. Basically a small shot in the back, some pressure, and that's about it. A lot of worry for nothing. I have read on here from other posts where doctors gave patients valium before hand. If you are really concerned, maybe you could call and ask about that.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Being honest, I had a terrible myelogram experience last spring. I'm a 30 year old female who had an artificial disc replacement in 2008 and have had problems since. My surgeon tried two MRIs before realizing the metal in the disc wasn't letting it take. So he said the other solution to see what was going on in there was a myelogram/CT. First of all, it took them forever to get the needle in. They kept doing more lidocaine to numb, then try the needle again, then more lidocaine, try again. I could still feel it though. And when they tipped the table, it was a horrible rush to my head. I thought my head was going to explode. They just kept saying "hold on, just hold on" (I had my arms above my head holding on to hand grips and was strapped down to the table. It felt like eternity before they finally lowered me back down. I had the worst headache afterwards and they kept me in observation for the rest of the day and night. And the CT they took afterward ended up being inconclusive anyway, due to not enough dye getting in my cervical column.

Take into consideration that the hospital I had it done at doesn't have a very good reputation, so it's possible that the people doing it weren't the most competent, but it was definitely one of the more unpleasant medical experiences I've had.
    He felt as though his life was a dream, and he sometimes wondered whose it was and if they were enjoying it.