Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdisectomy L4-L5 & L5-S1 and Pregnancy

Hi Everyone,

I am 30 year old and underwent L5-S1 Microdisectomy in 2010, which has relapsed. My fresh MRI is indicating that, I also have slip disc at L4-L5, L3-L4. I m suffering from extreme leg pain, I m not able to move at all, the comfortable position for me is only resting in bed. I m off work from 2nd Dec 2012 till date ( 24th Jan 2013) but no relief. I also underwent Nucleoplasty + Epidural Steroid Injection in L4-L5 on 12th Jan 2013, but no relief in pain.

I have tried, Physio, neuromuscular massage, spinal maneuvering massage, chiropathy and I have lost all the hopes.

So finally doctor is suggesting for L4-L5 & L5-S1, Microdisectomy. I want to know following:

1. Is it safe to operate two disc at the same time?

2. Would it make my back very weak?

3. should I wait for more time, before I proceed for surgery?

4. How will this impact future pregnancy, after undergoing Microdisectomy ? is it safe for the back to get pregnant?

5. My doctor also told me, my spinal canal is narrow, anything which can help me?

I m very scared, before my pain started, I was planning to start a family. I m really concerned about long term implications.

• Nothing is more miserable than constant pain! As you can probably tell from my picture, I have had total work from somwhere at the top of my thorax to S1.... I had 2 surgeries totally 20 hours this past summer. I had lots of concerns about pregnancy afterwards. Basically I was told that before surgery that I'd have to wait a full year before becoming pregnant, but I could get pregnant if I wanted too. Unfortunately through some complications I also had to have screws going into my hip to stablize the spine. Even so, I was told that if I did want to become pregnant, I'd have to wait a year for the fusion, then he would go in to "loosen" these screws before becoming pregnant so I could carry and deliver the baby. However, after all the surgery/healing my husband and I have decided two was enough. I had both after childhood scoliosis surgery. Due to lumbar fusion(before pregnancy) and preeclampsia with both kids, I did have to be put completely to sleep for their birth(C-Section). Something that is rare, but I didn't "qualify" for an epidural/spinal block. My point is, if you want to get pregnant after surgery, you just need to have that conversation upfront with the surgeon. It is certainly possible. And since it's only a 2 level fusion, I wouldn't imagine the epidural would be a problem. Good luck! (and to answer the other questions, totally safe to operate on 2 at a time, I mean... why go through two separate surgeries/healings? lots of people have many more than 2 levels done at a time.)
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.