Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This is a longggg story

EnnaEEnna Spain but BritishPosts: 21
This is an introduction from me but don't quite know where else to place the post.

In 2004 I started getting sciatica down my right leg and then back ache. Could'nt walk for long - I went to Yoga but eventually it proved too much for me although now I do certain exercises that do help.

Back and forth to the doctors where he gave me cortisone injections on my thigh - as only 3 a year are permitted (some worked some not) that doctor left the new doctor would no longer give me the injections and would not give me an MRI either. In fact 3 doctors refused me an MRI. So i paid for an MRI myself - facet joints were mentioned and the L4/5 and L3/4 levels mentioned.

I consulted one of the best consultants in the UK and he gave me such a wacking cortisone injection but I'm afraid I didn't get on with him very much, he had a very sarcastic manner.

Eventually the cortisone wore off and in 2007 I was taking diclofenic painkillers etc with no relief. I eventually was referred to P*** Hospital - the waiting list was so long for an appointment I paid to see the consultant who suggested that I have "Inspace" - they made a mess of the appointment (too long a story) but having had it fitted, it failed within 2 months. I then went back for various pain injections - which failed. This was in the UK when you could not choose and pick where you wanted to be treated.

Then the choose and pick came into being with the UK Health System. I then asked the doctor if he would refer me to a consultant I had researched in M****. I think he was flattered to think I had researched him and since my experience with him he has left the country...... I had 2 MRI scans and these were read by the Registrar - the result - nothing wrong with my back. At this stage.... I couldn't stand, sit, sleep and the pain was terrible - painkillers were not working either and was absolutely gutted with the result of the consultant's report.

I think my doctor thought I was putting on a story but when he referred me to the Pain Clinic and the doctor there told me I was putting it on - I came out of the hospital and said that was it. I rang the consultant up in W* - who I should have gone to in the first place but didn't - I don't know why. By this time i was pretty desperate and paid again to see the consultant privately. He said that I had a bulging disc which was touching a nerve and he decompressed L3/4 and L4/5 I was too old for ADR. I paid privately - all went well and couldn't understand why 6 months later, I was still in pain on the right side, the left side was now AOK.

As a matter of interest, at about the same time, the doctor ordered a bone scan. The nurse at the time told me I had no oestoarthritis. I have had a test in another country which says the complete opposite and I am now taking medication for the condition. The consultant I am seeing wants to see me again for another scan at the endof the year.

Am i the most unluckiest person or not. Is it because I don't look in pain when I went to the doctors, do I have to put it on - do I have to demand - shout and kick to have what are my rights on the UK NHS? I was told by my doctor that the PCT that was running out area was almost bankrupt, so what, I had paid into the health system for over 50 years. You can tell I am unhappy.

2 years on , I have now been having appointments with another consultant and he is pondering what to do.He ordered an MRI after the first appointment but like everything else you have to wait. However, the pain is exactly the same as was on the left side, I get sciatica really bad and cannot lie in bed on my right side as I wake up with terrible pain - and now take Pazital but take more than I should to help with the pain. I dose myself up with medication to walk and I have to go back to see him end of February for the results of my MRI and he is talking about pain injections for which I have had all manner of them. I am dreading going back to the consultant but just wonder what anyone's opinion is

Sorry, its a bit disjointed but its been going on for so many years .......

• DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 01/26/2013 - 2:07 PM
    Enna; hi. Thanks for sharing your history.

I hope you have taken the opportunity to read the articles and forums here on this website. There is lots of good info here, below is a link that is relevant to your circumstance. http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/lumbar-decompression-back-surgery-considerations

Enna, it is common (about 10%) for reherniation to occur. Many surgeons limit the number of microdisectomies for reherniation to 3 and then do a fusion for any further reherniations.

Using the search at top of page for 'reherniation' and other appropriate keywords will give you lots of stories. There has been quite few discussions almost identical to yours in last few weeks.

There are good articles on failed back surgery in website, once again, search with 'failed back' to find them.

Good luck.
  • I'm sorry to hear all the mess you have been thru. I'm really glad you came here.
    Good luck. I hope you can find your answers and get relief!
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!