Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help please

im 22 an have had back pain for at least the last 2 years it started in my knee after a football injury
my muscle in my upper thigh for lack of a better word dissolved from nerve damage an torn cartilage
then when to the neurologist and found out that i was also blessed with DDD / deformed plates and eroded cartilage
it hurts my leg to stand an my lower back to sit im having a little trouble coping with this i already have panic an anxiety attacks its only gotten worse with the additional pain..

i feel like such a dick to my family friends because im irritable being in constant state of pain and stress i had just graduated college in a degree in fire science tech an cant do a think with it my spine cant take the 100 lbs of gear needed to fight fires..

anyway i still hope dream of being able to full-fill my dream of fighting fires
im torn on surgery good bad ? would it give me my life back or is it just a toss of a coin it helps some it hurts some ?

• Well I hope you are in the care of a doctor. Pain meds? PT, something?
  • Starr StuartSStarr Stuart Posts: 2
    edited 03/04/2013 - 9:55 AM
    Go to North American Spine website. Give them a call. I have had a traditional back surgery in 2003 for a herniated disc. I then had a ruptured disc in 2012, but that was to get better on its own. I had less mobility every day and quit working 2-3 yrs prior because my back was getting worse. I did some research after 2 people I knew came back from North American Spine in Dallas. They were the best I saw, reviews every where raved about them. I called, sent them my MRI, they talked to my ins. company. I had the Accurascope procedure done on Aug. 1, 2012. I didn't take pain medicine before surgery, it makes sick to my stomach. I didn't take or need any after surgery. I have 6 months out and doing great. I can do what I want when I want without any pain. 3 people look at your MRI, if they can't help you, they give their opinion on what might help you. Worth a shot! I'm not sorry I called and highly recommend them.
  • Unfortunately, spine issues stay with you. If I were you, I'd seriously start planning a second option for a career.... now I'm not in anyway shape or form saying give up a passion, but surely there are jobs related to fire/fire safey that isn't the actual fireman. I think you'd be much happier and self sufficient in the long run to find something you greatly enjoy and that allows for problems with your back as you age. Hope you have found a great team of medical professions that can help you now.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.