Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

microdisectonomy did not help

First let me apologize for the length of this post, but I did not want to leave it to guess work. I am looking for 3rd, 4th... opinions. Or links where I can ask for advice. Thanks

Here is my story;
Oct 5 I woke up with a slight pain in the back. I have had back problems for many years and the best solution was chiropractic care. Sometimes the chiropractic adjustment did not help and I would have to go back to the medications. In the past I was diagnosed with a bulging disc, and I was able to control the pain with ice, exercise and chiropractic care for the past 15 years. Well Oct 5 was a different story, by noon the pain was on my leg and it manifested itself after walking for about ½ a block. The pain was so strong that I would have to stop and sit in a position that would relieve the pressure on the nerve. This position was legs tucked in and chest to the knees. Sleeping was difficult and the only position was in a fetal position. By Oct 7 I was in so much pain that I had to go to the emergency and they gave me painkillers and referred me to a neurosurgeon.
After being on painkillers (percocet) and a MRI the decision was to have a Microdiscectomy on October 30.
Day of operation once I woke up I was in heaven, pain gone. Next day same, no pain. The physical therapist indicated I do not need therapy. I was so happy, I will be able to walk and eventually exercise. So little I knew that the pain was masked by the steroids and percocet given in the hospital.
Well in my two week checkup I indicated to the doctor that the pain is returning, his comment was that I will experience pain but it will go away. The analogy he made was; imaging a truck was removed from your leg and now you are experiencing pain as you recover but it will get better.

Dr. comment after surgery (I think I got it all) ?????????

Well I decided to chart the pain, and it showed that the pain was increasing and not subsiding. In the next appointment I showed him the charts and asked him if I should get therapy and another MRI. Well he said I guess so, and he refered me to therapy and order a MRI. The therapy aggravated the pain and after 4 session I stopped. The MRI showed the previous problem was still there and even worse according to my surgeon. So back to the initial problem and solution.

One thing the pain I experience now is almost as bad as before the operation.

So I decided to get a second opinion;
Second opinion is from a surgeon with 35+ years experience. First thing he said while talking to someone on the phone and my self at the same time was I don’t see anything wrong with your films. So I pointed him to the two pictures with the problem, one pre-op and the other post-op. Him comment after looking at the films again was that I did not need an operation and that he was going to treat it differently. So he prescribed steroids and after that desinflamatorios.

Now I am more confused and am seeking another opinion.

Any advice is welcome.

• KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 07/02/2013 - 7:26 PM
  • cathyccathy Posts: 29
    edited 02/01/2013 - 3:11 PM
    I sure wish I had an answer for you. I had your problem years ago. I walked around with a limp for over 1 year. Had to figure out how to sleep and stand and drive. It was horrid! I finally got better. It just went away.. I have a friend who had the operation you speak of and she also had pain after ward, but she finally got better and better. good luck..
  • DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 02/01/2013 - 4:49 PM
    Bfzuniga: hi.

It's very frustrating when you get an operation and it doesn't fix the problem. I've had that too.

Your on the right track as keytan said. It's standard to do the steroid injections when there's a reherniation. 10% of microdiscectomies reherniate. The steroid injection tries to reduce the swollen nerve, as you know. Sometimes it works, sometimes doing nothing works, as Cathy said. New studies show that steroids are as good as doing nothing, there have the same statistical outcome.

Sometimes there are more than one root cause and the MD addresses just one of them and leaves the other one there to cause pain.

So keep seeking opinions. You may have to get other diagnostic tests to find the real root cause, such as flex X-ray, dynamic MRI, ct mylegram, discogram, neurography MRI. Use the search function at top of page to find info on these and 'failed back surgery syndrome', which you appear to have.

One good thing is that you don't appear to have any nerve damage happening.

Freestyle swimming with snorkel and goggles is often recommended to keep the scar tissue soft, strengthen up core muscles after a MD, something to discuss with the surgeons. I was told to slowly build up to 600m per day by the end of 3 months.

Wish you all the best and would like to follow how you are go.